Ideas

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Greg Steil

Ideas

Post by Greg Steil »

Seeking ideas for tools to use to clamp loose braces in thin body acoustics(Weissenborns) with limited access through sound hole. Wishing Stew Mac made their "jacks" about 50% smaller(and less expensive). Key to success seems to operating once clamp/jack is placed. TIA
Bob Gramann

Re: Ideas

Post by Bob Gramann »

Make a bendable stick (like a popsicle stick) with a V cut in each end to fit the space. Tilt it a bit to wedge it in. One size does not fit all.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

I have many of various lengths but in a 3" deep body, quick positioning is a bit of a hassle Back braces are my main issue, since I have all sorts of reach in clamps, and none of the top braces are loose(of course)
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

How about inflating a little ball (like the pump ball on a blood pressure cuff or the ball on a turkey baster) through a tube?

On some repairs, I’ve placed the stick such that it almost closes the gap, worked the glue under the brace, and then closed the gap by clamping outside the body against both ends of the stick. My wife is very good about helping me. Her arm fits through most soundholes.
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Go to Amazon and search for "air wedge". Lots of neat options for a fairly small investment.
I saw these a while ago but have yet to get around to trying one. If you do, please share your experiences with a post.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”