bending iron temperature

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Brian Dyskin

bending iron temperature

Post by Brian Dyskin »

I recently got a bending iron on e-bay and am concerned that it doesn't get hot enough. It goes up to 137 deg C, but from what I understand from the StewMac site, a bending iron should be between about 175-205 deg. C (350-400 deg F) for bending sides. Is my new toy useless?

Regards,

Brian.
Darrel Friesen

Re: bending iron temperature

Post by Darrel Friesen »

I would certainly want it hotter Brian. I like to bend around 350 F although I know some bend around 300.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I have no idea how hot my StewMac bending iron gets. I used an old fashioned way to watch the temperature. Once its heated up, I let a few drops of water fall onto the iron. If the drops sit on the iron and evaporate, its too cold. If little round drops form and dance above the iron, then its hot enough. I generally keep it about one setting below max unless I get the feeling that it is cooling too quickly when I crank it back to max for a while.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

That does not sound hot enough for me either.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

I also have the StewMac iron, and it doesn't get hot enough unless it's near the maximum (and StewMac cautions about running it on max for extended periods). I have no idea of the temperature, but the water drop test works for me. Usually hotter is better, if the iron is not quite hot enough the wood may still bend, but it takes longer and is more difficult. The wood can get brittle from longer exposure to heat.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Brian Dyskin

Post by Brian Dyskin »

Thanks for the replies...not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected.
I just can't understand why they would bother making a bending iron that is underpowered for the job.
Eugene Coldrick

Post by Eugene Coldrick »

There are aftermarket elements fairly cheap, online. You may consider replacing the one in the unit you bought. Good luck, sir.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”