Cutting Aluminum Extrusions

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Barry Daniels

Cutting Aluminum Extrusions

Post by Barry Daniels »

I need to cut some extruded aluminum kerfing clamp material (Ryan style). The extrusions are approximately 5/16" thick by 2-1/2" wide by 5' long. I need to slice this off in 1/4" to 3/8" pieces so that is a bunch of cuts. I know that I could get a fine tooth blade for my bandsaw but I really hate to have a bunch of aluminum swarf messing up the bearings and tires. I have an old Craftsman chop saw that might work and I read about a Freud saw blade (D1080N) that is specially made for cutting aluminum. Anyone have any experience with this blade for cutting aluminum or other ideas?
MIMF Staff
Mark Swanson

Re: Cutting Aluminum Extrusions

Post by Mark Swanson »

I cut aluminum on my table saw with a Freud Diablo blade. It seems to have no trouble with it.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

I wouldn't advise using the chop saw unless you have aluminum cutting discs for it. Regular grinding or cutting discs get clogged quickly and the embedded aluminum can heat up and cuase the disc to disintegrate. I use my tablesaw like Mark.
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Freud makes a Diablo blade specifically for cutting non-ferrous metals. You should still use some type of lubricant; I use a toilet wax ring and just touch it on the blade before running the aluminum through. Makes a world of difference in the cut.

If you don't have or can't find the blade, most blades with a zero or negative rake wuld work, and preferably TCG (triple chip grind)
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Barry,
I've cut aluminium extrusions with a chop saw with no problems. Use a carbide toothed blade intended for chop saw use (zero or negative rake angle as Louie mentioned) . Secure the work properly, let the blade come up to speed and don't force the cut. I've never used a "special blade", but generally the more teeth the better.
As Darrel mentioned, don't use an abrasive blade, the aluminium will clog it up and forcing the cut can heat up the blade and cause it to fly apart.
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

My mistake as I generally think of a chop saw as the abrasive type and a miter saw as the woodworking variety.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Darrel,
I think many people use the terms interchangeably for mitre saws . The saws that only cut 90 degrees are generally limited to being called "chop saws". I believe most of them can mount a typical saw blade although, as you say, they often have abrasive blades mounted when used for cutting ferrous metals.
David King

Post by David King »

Ideally a "cold-saw" which spins much slower, say 400 rpm with a coolant flow to wash the chips away and keep them from agglomerating onto the cutters. I use a band saw with 14-18 tpi and run a bead of aluminum cutting fluid (Rapid tap) on the cut line, At 3500sfm it cuts very fast and generates some heat. I put my big shopvac right on the blade just under the table. i scrape the tires off right after with a stick of wood. The Delta 14 comes with sealed bearings so they are never an issue.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

"as you say, they often have abrasive blades mounted when used for cutting ferrous metals."

I've always referred to this type of cutting machine as a "burn saw" - it's very appropriate, if you have ever used one.

I should add that I've cut a lot of aluminium extrusion with a 12" miter saw (DeWalt) and the appropriate blade.
It was spinning way to fast, and makes a hell of a noise, but worked fine. And the blade was fine for many cuts. We never had to replace in over the period it was being used. This was for aluminum extrusion structures with t-slot grooves - industrial enclosure type stuff.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
David King

Post by David King »

I just heard that Boeshield is a good lube for aluminum cutting with a carbide chop saw. It comes in a couple of formats including a dry wax stick which i have and that doesn't seem to work very well for me.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”