SawStop and fret slotting

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bob Gramann

Re: SawStop and fret slotting

Post by Bob Gramann »

I googled custom blades and came up with The Blade MFG Company. I called him and described what I wanted. He took a 10" steel blank, milled the outer 3/4" of the rim to .020", and cut 200 teeth in it. (I asked him to mill the rim to .021 -.022"--that's why I have to put some set on the teeth). It cuts beautifully--the slot is clean and precise with no tearout, so far). He said that it could be resharpened several times. Since my StewMac blade is just now asking for a resharpen after nearly 100 fretboards, I don't think this will be a problem. The blade cost $115 plus $16 for shipping. It took about two weeks from my call until it arrived. If he gets closer to .022", it might save you some time adding set to the teeth. I've been stalling putting the set into mine because I don't need it yet.

I also talked to Don at Total Saw Solutions. He is planning to make an 8" carbide blade to cut a .023" kerf. He said each will cost $250 and he didn't have any yet when I talked to him a few weeks ago.

I have been very pleased with the new SawStop so far. It's very smooth and precise. The blade guard and riving knife actually works and doesn't impede cutting. Removing the blade guard for cuts where it can't be used is very quick and easy. After I put the saw together, I started to measure so I could true it up. It came true and needed no adjustments! The mobile base was well designed and makes it very easy to move the saw around the workshop. It was very expensive, but I'm figuring that I will never buy another table saw.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Bob, so if I had him make one with .023 width, I would not have to put any set into the teeth?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

If he made it exactly 023"' it would likely cut a .024" or slightly larger kerf. Mine came out at .020 and cuts a .022" or maybe .0215" kerf. That's why I need to set the teeth a bit. Precision, when you're talking in thousandths, can be elusive. I would ask for .022" and hope he hits it more closely than he did for me.

The guy that said he could make me the expensive carbide blade said that his prototypes cut exactly .023". There would be no way to add set to a carbide blade.
David King

Post by David King »

Absolutely no harm ending up with a .025 kerf in my view.
The carbide blade would shed teeth like a shark if it ever hit the floor.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”