Mujingfang finger planes

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Craig Bumgarner

Mujingfang finger planes

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Best tool I bought all year is a $20 Mujinfang ebony finger plane. Works great right out the box. Works for braces, bindings, linings, fingerboard edges, etcs. Works good for tuning top and back bracess through the sound hole on a closed box. My new favorite go-to tool for all kinds of things. Available lots of places.
Mark Swanson

Re: Mujingfang finger planes

Post by Mark Swanson »

From what I have seen on the web, they look really cool. But I can't find any link to buy one, I don't really see "available all over the place"...can you post a link, and show us what kind you bought? Where did you get yours?
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Craig Bumgarner

I got mine from Woodcraft. I saw several other companies selling them, but know Woodcraft pretty well, so it was an easy choice.
John Mueller

Post by John Mueller »

Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

the angles are right cuts great but this plane eats skin that front shape kills,ive filed the whole plane to an unrecognizable shape compared to how it arrived got to have skin like kevlar,i wear gloves called skins.wont buy another of these
Waddy Thomson

Post by Waddy Thomson »

I have one of the longer versions of the plane. Pretty good for straight stuff and small stock. Not so hot for braces. The finest plane for braces, IMO, is the Stephen Boone planes. They are awesome! Beveled on the sides to address brace shaving and sharp beyond your imagination. I have 3 of them. An older one that is a bit larger than the current version and one of the straight bottom ones and one of the curved bottom ones of the new model. The nice thing is that they are made by a guitar maker to make guitars with. The blades are honed perfectly and the planes cut beautifully. Not $20, but worth every penny.
P1070629 (Small).JPG
Craig Bumgarner

Greg Martin wrote:....but this plane eats skin.
Humm, I've used mine a lot, including inside the guitar via the sound hole which is often awkward, never noticed this with mine. Interesting though, you seem to have had a different experience, so buyer beware I guess.
Jim Kirby

Post by Jim Kirby »

Waddy Thomson wrote:I have one of the longer versions of the plane. Pretty good for straight stuff and small stock. Not so hot for braces. The finest plane for braces, IMO, is the Stephen Boone planes. They are awesome! Beveled on the sides to address brace shaving and sharp beyond your imagination. I have 3 of them. An older one that is a bit larger than the current version and one of the straight bottom ones and one of the curved bottom ones of the new model. The nice thing is that they are made by a guitar maker to make guitars with. The blades are honed perfectly and the planes cut beautifully. Not $20, but worth every penny.
P1070629 (Small).JPG
Interestingly, after several years of somehow feeling otherwise, I just became one with my Boone plane this afternoon, while shaving braces for two tenor ukes. I have the older, larger one that Waddy mentions. Somehow it all just came together. I had been a real Ibex bronze plane diehard til now.
Nate Scott

Post by Nate Scott »

I will add that Harbor Freight sells a set of three small wooden planes (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-mi ... 97545.html) that I've found to be actually quite good for profiling braces and fine work. They come dipped in lacquer and dull, but they clean up well. The steel holds a nice edge (after sharpening) and they are cheap enough to justify customizing them for specific uses (radiused sole, flat sole, bevel). I mostly use the mini block plane type, but the others have been quite useful to have around.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”