.62mm wide rosette channel

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Danny Seamon

.62mm wide rosette channel

Post by Danny Seamon »

I am wanting to do a D18 style rosette. The outer and inner rings are .62mm wide. How on earth do you guys route/cut a channel that small?

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Seamon

Re: .62mm wide rosette channel

Post by Danny Seamon »

I found this at Amazon Supply. I think that this will work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 10.37.07 AM.png
David King

Post by David King »

Danny,
Most rosettes are cut on a drill press with a rosette cutter. The cutters I've seen and worked on have different width chisels that slide in and are locked into a track. There's a centering pin that goes into a 1/4" hole you drill through the top and into a work block underneath that keeps the cutter centered and on track.

If you want to use a Dremel tool and circle routing jig to rout the narrow channels you might want to start with a 1/16" or 1.5mm cutter. You can buy these very inexpensively in any diameter off ebay. They are used to mill and drill printed circuit boards among other things. I usually buy them in packs of 10 or 12 shipped from Hong Kong or Mainland China. It does take about 10 days to get them. Domestic sources like http://precisebits.com have better quality at a much higher price. I know I'd much rather snap off a $2 bit than a $24 dollar one though I tend to be much more conservative with the domestic ones so they do last a little longer. When cutting into a spruce top you just want the sharpest bit you can find. I would never be able to do this job cleanly with my collection of miserable Dremels so would recommend you use a trim router instead. I'd use this bit:
http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router- ... B000K29JK0
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

My dentist supplied me with a lifetime's worth of tiny, precise router bits all the way down to about .020"(0.5mm).

The "trick" to doing the very narrow cut in spruce is to take many, very light cuts. No more than about .010" per pass. Otherwise, you'll either snap the bit, or it will wander around some in between the early and late(IE: soft and hard) growth lines.
Danny Seamon

Post by Danny Seamon »

Thanks to all!

Return to “Tools and Jigs”