Radius Sanding Jig

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Gordon Bellerose

Radius Sanding Jig

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I sanded a radius into a neck a while ago, and thought that there must be an easier way to do this task. I don't know if any of you have had this problem, but here goes anyway.
I found that holding the sanding block dead straight in line with the neck was a bit of an issue, so I built this little jig to make life easier.

It is pretty simple, and works well. I can now put most of my effort into simply moving the block back and forth, knowing that the jig will hold it straight.
There are small blocks in the bottom that hold the neck straight and square. There are also blocks on each end to hold it from moving.

Here's a shot of the sanding block in the jig.

And one more.

I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
G.S. Monroe

Re: Radius Sanding Jig

Post by G.S. Monroe »

Nice...
Just a thought, if you installed a pair of drawer rolling guide rails for the block to ride on, and an adjustable screw lift to elevate the jig upwards into the sanding block, and used a flywheel motor to move the sanding block back and forth like the old steam locomotives, .... hmmm
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

G.S. Monroe wrote:Nice...
Just a thought, if you installed a pair of drawer rolling guide rails for the block to ride on, and an adjustable screw lift to elevate the jig upwards into the sanding block, and used a flywheel motor to move the sanding block back and forth like the old steam locomotives, .... hmmm
Sounds like a do able upgrade.
I have an old sawzall that could be cannibalized, for the back and forth sanding motion,
but I am thinking you would need a few pounds of downward pressure.
Not sure how to get a constant, even pressure with the movement, unless you have a second set of drawer slides and rods to hold the sanding block in the moving jig and springs to provide the proper downward force.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
G.S. Monroe

Post by G.S. Monroe »

Art Davila wrote:
G.S. Monroe wrote:Nice...
Sounds like a do able upgrade.
I have an old sawzall that could be cannibalized, for the back and forth sanding motion,
but I am thinking you would need a few pounds of downward pressure.
Not sure how to get a constant, even pressure with the movement, unless you have a second set of drawer slides and rods to hold the sanding block in the moving jig and springs to provide the proper downward force.
Simply turn the entire thing upside down, with the radius block facing up, and you can put as much pressure you may need by pressing down on the neck.
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Yes,
but if your trying to automate the process, and have to stand there putting pressure you may as well do it by hand.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”