Does anyone have a modular/portable/really small workshop?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Does anyone have a modular/portable/really small workshop?

Post by Matthew Lau »

I got married, got a puppy, and will have a kid in July (if all things are well).
Realistically, I think most of my garage space will be holding family stuff.

I'm thinking of reorganizing my wood...using some up, and replacing my stationary racks with portable ones on wheels.
Most of my machinery is on wheels too

Does anyone have tips on still building instruments, while having a family?
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Does anyone have a modular/portable/really small workshop?

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Matthew,
Congratulations on your Marriage and expected addition to the family!
A workbench on the back wall of the garage is handy for all sorts of uses, and a workmate, a pair of folding saw horses, and an old fashioned wooden carpenters tool box can allow you to work al fresco when the weather is fair and fine.
I have repurposed a hutch cabinet for working in the house while being around the family (wife, adult child, parrots). It has tool storage above and below and an open center section to use as a bench top. It works O.K. for non dust making activities (glue ups, brace carving, etc.)
You will be taking on a lot of changes in the coming months, so I would suggest you limit the scope of your lutherie projects to those you feel you have the time for.
Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

My shop is small but workable. One of the things I spent time on when laying it out was to try to make floor space usable for more than one function. For example, the space that the entry door swings into is also the space where I stand at the bandsaw, and is also the space to access the ladder to overhead storage. Some multi-use of your space will happen naturally with equipment on wheels, of course, but it's something you might keep in mind. Also, don't forget about overhead storage.

Also, keep family life and building in balance. Compromise, compromise, compromise!
I like to start slow, then taper off.
Glenn Howland

Post by Glenn Howland »

I'm squeezing as much into a small space as I can. The latest is installing a small table saw into an existing inspection bench. The tops are flush; I can place a 2'x4' sheet of masonite over all and cover it with an area rug (with the rubbery backing) that will be gentle with instruments. It's an improvement over the photo. The blade guard / dust collector disassembles in seconds.
Attachments
Table saw and bench.jpg
"Shut up, Dear" she explained.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Creative!

I'm pretty lucky, in that she's willingly enabling my unhealthy hobby.
Got clearance for tools...just gotta figure out space.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”