Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Paul Montgomery

Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Post by Paul Montgomery »

This is a luthier tool and I know it’s not for everyone, but I’m thinking that there might be some clever people here who just might find their own use for it.

https://youtu.be/nBMDt84rlCM
Barry Daniels

Re: Electrifying a Radius Dish Sander

Post by Barry Daniels »

I am doubtful that you could power a guitar sized radius dish with an electric drill. Also, that plastic friction disc would not be sufficient for a large spinning dish. I power my radius sander with a 1/3 hp electric motor and the dish runs on a large lazy susan bearing.
MIMF Staff
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

D07E354B-99AA-40D6-8ADB-D9BD225BF847.jpeg
Here's mine. Like Barry I use a 16" lazy susan bearing. Direct drive like you see used on a carnival ride. The motor is separate, mounted on a hinge and leans against the bottom plate with an 'O' ring on the drive collar that grabs the perimeter. The double thickness dished plate is interchangeable and locks in with center and edge dowels. It stows away nicely which is important in my small workspace.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

When my dryer caught fire and needed to be replaced I stole the 1/3 horsepower motor from it to make a motorized dish. I too use lazy susan bearings. I'm not sure if a drill motor would turn a large dish at a fast enough speed. the dryer motor seems be be just enough power, I wouldn't want any less.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Dave Williams

Post by Dave Williams »

Hey Guys, those powered sanding dishes look like the hot setup. My questions:
What is the RPM of the motor along with HP?

How about some detail showing the interface between the motor's shaft and the rim of the dish.
Is anything done to the rim of the dish to help the contact of rotating motor and dish work properly. I imagine there would be some slippage.
Thanks in advance,
Capo Dave
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

4C164B0D-0B0E-4F1D-93FC-12354177AD13.jpeg
4C164B0D-0B0E-4F1D-93FC-12354177AD13.jpeg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
The pulleys are 1.5” and 20”. The motor is 1/6 hp and 1140 rpm. The dish turns at 85 rpm. I don’t think I’d want it to go faster, but this speed seems about right. The dish bearing is a 12” lazy susan bearing. After a year of use, there are many iron filings around it. I think it will be a consumable. The wooden pulley has a groove cut around it’s perimeter to retain the belt.
Dave Williams

Post by Dave Williams »

Thanks Bob! That's the ticket!

Best,
Capo Dave
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

My motor is a two speed (1140/1750) salvaged from a washing machine. In this application, I will never use the higher speed.
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

For mine the motor is from an old washing machine; 1/4 horse, 1750 rpm. Mounted in a box with a hinge at the bottom so the bearing shaft leans against the drive plate rim at just the right angle. The weight of the motor provides good traction.

The sanding platform is 24 inches diameter and the edge has been impregnated with epoxy and smoothed over. The motor shaft has two collets locked on with hex nuts with a neoprene O-ring in between that grabs the edge of the drive plate. Travels around 75 rpm without any work pressure on it.
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

sanding dish motor copy.jpg
Attachments
sanding dish turntable copy.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I 've made a couple - one from a bowling ball balancer and one from a Bosch mixer. The bowling ball sanding dish runs rather fast and can take off a half inch of material in just a couple of minutes, so a careful light touch is required. The Bosch universal mixer has three speeds and allows the dish to be swapped out quickly.
Attachments
BB sanding dish 1.jpg
Dish sander2.jpg
Dish sander1.jpg

Return to “Tools and Jigs”