Wild Cherry Log

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Steve Senseney

Re: Wild Cherry Log

Post by Steve Senseney »

My limited experience with locust--Honey locust is not super hard, perhaps a little less dense and hard than ash. Black locust is quite hard and dense.

Which ever it is, cut it and keep it.
Andy Barnhart

Post by Andy Barnhart »

When I have kept woodwind billets and not boards, I used a wedge or froe and maul to split them out. Following the grain gave me pieces that turned (literally; as in on the lathe) out like I wanted even though they often looked wrong at first. As far as glue and sealing, you can use TiteBond II diluted about 50:50 and it works as well as AnchorSeal (cost is about the same; this is not a budget decision, just what to do if you can't find AnchorSeal) except it is tougher on tools later. TB I is the same as the Elmers and won't work; it has to be TB II (I have not tried TB III).
-Andy
Andrew Porter

Post by Andrew Porter »

Auto anti-freeze will prevent and kill fungus (and pets and kids, so use care). It will wash out of wood if left exposed to rain. I've successfully used it to protect wood for boat building. I don't know if it would have any detrimental effects wood for instruments.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”