Brazilian rosewood square piano lid

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Brazilian rosewood square piano lid

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Bob Orr wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm Glad to hear it has found a new home.
+1

Michael,
One final thought,
About 35 years ago I took a course on piano repair and tuning. I learned a number of simple and inexpensive things that can be done to "rehab" a piano to restore it to a useful condition. If the "Three Geezers Piano Salvage" get tired of scrapping pianos, you might try fixing them up a bit and giving them to people who can't otherwise afford them. I realize there are limits to what can be done, and the first step is an evaluation of the piano to see if it is a worthy candidate. A book that can help with evaluation and simple restorations is Arthur Reblitz's "Piano Servicing, Tuning and Repair":
https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Servicing- ... 1879511037
As you have said many nice old pianos are heading for the landfill. A few months ago I was offered a fairly modern Chickering upright that appeared to be in good shape. It was in an estate and the person overseeing it was tasked to clear the house of it's contents. I didn't have room for another piano, and I don't know what became of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went to the landfill.
Many of the old uprights used fairly standardized parts, so "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is sometimes possible. And there are ways to "brighten up" the case work without doing a complete refinish.
If the "Geezers" are more a group of friends looking for an opportunity to socialize, and do something positive for the community you might consider bringing some of these old dinosaurs back to life.
Michael Rohde

Re: Solid Brazilian(?) rosewood square piano legs

Post by Michael Rohde »

Hello Again,

Hope everyone is well.

We've been given a set of 4 square piano legs (1860s ?) based on style and form. These legs are indeed solid (Brazilian?) rosewood which surprised me. At least there isn't a possibly restorable piano attached this time...

The largest "beads" on the legs are about 9" in diameter and are in very good condition (no visible cracks, water stained or beaten up). Are you aware of anyone who might be looking for material like this for bridges or other small parts? I initially assumed they were veneer (based on my last adventure) but on further inspection the legs go into the finials with the side grain pattern consistent through into the end grain. I can provide photos up if there is any interest.

Thanks,
Michael

If there is a more appropriate place for a post of this sort, please advise. Thanks again.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the legs if you can post them.
Michael Rohde

Post by Michael Rohde »

Clay,

Thank you for your interest in the piano legs. We just sold them last night so they're no longer available! If we ever come across something like this again I'll put up another message.

Hope all is well with you and yours - stay well.

Michael

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”