BBQ grill handles? Any recommendations?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Matthew Lau

BBQ grill handles? Any recommendations?

Post by Matthew Lau »

With the coronovirus shutdown going on, I've been very leary to buy stuff.

That being said, I picked up a Weber grill from a neighbor.
They were tossing it because the handles cracked.

I'm thinking of making new handles, and using the grill.

Any recommendations on a good wood species?
FWIW, I have some extra B-grade african blackwood turning blanks, but not sure if it'd work well here.
I also have some osage orange, flamed maple, walnut, and a very small stash of brazilian rosewood (planned to save it for guitar bridges).
I also have a very small amount of lignum vitae.

While I know that this isn't a typical/normal topic for this forum, I just figure that you'all have a superior sense of aesthetics and understanding of exotic woods.

-Matt
JC Whitney

Re: BBQ grill handles? Any recommendations?

Post by JC Whitney »

... are you an “I meticulously clean and carefully cover the grill after every use and its handles will rarely, if ever, be exposed to the weather” kind of person, or the “a rusty, crusty, and weathered grille makes the food taste more authentic” sort?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

If it’s going to be outdoors all the time, white oak, black locust, or osage orange would be good choices.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

I'm probably a "leave it outdoors, and periodically hose it down" person.

I figure that this isn't a hand made katana forge....and even if it was, it'd be a PITA to bring it inside.

Osage orange it is! Thanks everyone!
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

The better knife handles used a nice oily rosewood like cocobolo. It can stand to get wet periodically so washing the blade off didn't affect it too much. Newer plastic materials, widespread dishwasher use, and scarcity of rosewood reduced it's use as a knife handle material.
How big are the pieces you need for the handles?
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hey everyone, I ended up getting tied up with COVID protocols for reopening.
It's been really hard to get PPE (gloves, masks, gowns) in addition to dealing with the SBA (EIDL, PPP, CARES, as things were first come first served).

After staring at the Osage Orange for weeks, I just bought some cherry wood handles off ebay.

Thanks, though! Hope everyone is staying safe.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”