Brazilian Hickory

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Tom Griffin

Brazilian Hickory

Post by Tom Griffin »

I am gathering materials to build an acoustic guitar and came across a back and sides made of Brazilian Hickory, which I really liked. Unfortunately when I tried to purchase it, I found the company has gone out of business. Is anyone familiar with this wood and where I can find it?

Brazilian Hickory (Patagonula americana)

Thanks,

Tom

Steve Sawyer

Re: Brazilian Hickory

Post by Steve Sawyer »

That is stunning.

Having never heard of Brazilian Hickory, I did a little digging. As is often the case, the flooring vendors have it so listed, but appears to be Guajuvira, and sometimes also marketed as Brazilian Pecan and Macchiato Pecan. My go-to wood site (http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/) doesn’t acknowledge it under any of those names, but maybe you can use the alternate names to find a source.
==Steve==
Tom Griffin

Post by Tom Griffin »

Stunning was my first thought as well. You can imagine my disappointment when I found that the company was kaput.

I did do some searching under the Guajuvira name to no avail, but will try the other names.

Thanks,

Tom
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Perhaps try giving your local hardwood supply house a call to see if they can get "Patagonula americana"?

Or... Did you try the phone number listed on that supplier's Facebook page? Not the 855-722-84__ number listed on the company's web page, their FB contact page lists a different 954 Ft Lauderdale area code number. I just called it, and got an answering message for the contact name listed. Even if CT is truly out of business, they might still be interested in selling any stock they have still on hand.
Tom Griffin

Post by Tom Griffin »

Thank you for the Facebook tip, i did reach an actual human and was able to order the wood. They sound like very nice people, more into building guitars than maintaining websites. :) They are currently offering Brazilian Rosewood backs and sides, which was tempting, but I stuck with the hickory.

Tom
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

That back set you posted was out of this world. Happy building (and don't forget to post your results).
Tom Griffin

Post by Tom Griffin »

JC Whitney wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:19 pm That back set you posted was out of this world. Happy building (and don't forget to post your results).
Thanks. I'm currently up to my elbows with a cello project and once that is finished, my son wants me to build him an electric guitar. My acoustic is next in line. ;)

Tom
Tom Griffin

Post by Tom Griffin »

It was a little scary purchasing it from Brazil through Facebook, but the wood finally arrived. Turns out they have a representative in Miami and that was where it was located. He was a little put out that the people in Brazil actually sold it to me because he was the only one on site and doesn't normal do the shipping thing, but he came through and the wood is everything I had hoped for. I got the sides planed and sanded down to .080" and they still seem a bit stiff, so I may build a steam box to help with the bending process. I'm not at all familiar with the wood, but it is very dense, not anything at all like the hickory around here.

Tom

Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Seeing wood like this reminds me that one of these days I really have to tackle an acoustic guitar. That stuff is really spectacular, Tom. I've got to come by your shop some day when we're free of this damned virus!! I've been enjoying your build log on that cello.
==Steve==
Tom Griffin

Post by Tom Griffin »

The cello is getting close to making sound and if I wasn't heading North for the week that would happen in a day or two. All that is left is to shape the fingerboard and fit the bridge. Of course there is still varnish to cook, but that will be more of a chemistry experiment than an instrument build. :)

I have had visitors from as far away as Australia, mostly from my YouTube channel, so I'm sure a little tour of the shop could be arranged.

Tom

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”