Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Daniel Fenson

Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Post by Daniel Fenson »

I'm trying to create an instrument out of household materials, and one of my ideas involves using a head like you find on Banjos, Tambourines, or Drums. But if I bought something designed for an instrument, it'd defeat the purpose of the project.

So does anyone know of an alternative I could use, that I could hopefully buy locally?

Thanks!
Bob Gramann

Re: Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Post by Bob Gramann »

Depending on the size you need, a large tyvek mailing envelope would give you a pretty tough membrane. They are hard to rip. I don’t know if the tyvek building wraps are just as reinforced.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I don't know about your household, but I could probably come up with an old leather coat to take a drum head out of, depending on size. Prep it properly and install it using old techniques, there you go.
David King

Post by David King »

If you are needing a fairly low tension head you could try model airplane wing covering film from a hobby shop. TopFlight is a good brand and dozens of colors to choose from. It's a heat shrink film with heat activated adhesive backing. One roll might do 10-12 heads though.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Cut the top and bottom off a 2 liter bottle. Split the remaining cylindrical part and unroll it. Tack this down across a frame and hit it with a hair dryer. It’s not big but it’s tough and tightens right up.

I picked this up from someone else on MIMF, wish I could remember who now.
Kaptain Karl
Daniel Fenson

Post by Daniel Fenson »

Karl Wicklund wrote:Cut the top and bottom off a 2 liter bottle. Split the remaining cylindrical part and unroll it. Tack this down across a frame and hit it with a hair dryer. It’s not big but it’s tough and tightens right up.

I picked this up from someone else on MIMF, wish I could remember who now.
That might work really well. I'll have to figure out how to tack it down though. I'll be working with plastic/metal instead of wood. Perhaps rivets?
Bob Gramann wrote:Depending on the size you need, a large tyvek mailing envelope would give you a pretty tough membrane. They are hard to rip. I don’t know if the tyvek building wraps are just as reinforced.
An envelope would be perfect for the theme of the project. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one.
David King

Post by David King »

Tyvek priority mail envelopes are available for "free" at most post offices in the US.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

David King wrote:Tyvek priority mail envelopes are available for "free" at most post offices in the US.
My kinda guy!

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”