Page 1 of 1

Custom Kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 pm
by Bryan Bear
A friends father is interested in bringing his first guitar (that was stripped 30 years ago by his son) back to how it looked when he was young. He would like to somehow add the long lost peghead decal but is unsure how to get it replicated. It would have looked like the one pictured here but black.

I suggested having a water slide decal made but I have no idea how to generate a usable file to come close to this logo. Any thoughts?

Link to article with picture

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm
by Eric Knapp
Can you find a high-res image of that? Or give me a link, I have experience myself and also colleagues and students who are graphics pros.

-Eric

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:00 pm
by Bryan Bear
Sadly that is the best I have found. He just asked me today so hopefully I can come up with better in time.

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm
by Eric Knapp
Here's one.

Image
[Staff - this is a link to an image, not a copy, which is permissible.]

That might be workable.

-Eric

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:33 pm
by Eric Knapp
Here's what I have so far.

Lion.png
Logo
Lion.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 9204 times


With a higher-res image I could do better.

-Eric

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:48 pm
by Mark Swanson
Still, that is pretty good and made smaller it would look sharper yet.

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:41 am
by Steve Sawyer
Eric - is that an export from a vector image? If that is a straight bitmap, converting it to a vector image (CDR, SVG, EPS, PDF etc.) will be scalable, and sharp at any scale. I'd expect any imaging service to be able to handle most of those formats.

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:42 am
by Eric Knapp
Steve Sawyer wrote:Eric - is that an export from a vector image? If that is a straight bitmap, converting it to a vector image (CDR, SVG, EPS, PDF etc.) will be scalable, and sharp at any scale. I'd expect any imaging service to be able to handle most of those formats.

That was just my first quick effort, it's that pic of the head manipulated. I am well versed in computer graphics. The next step is to vectorize that raster image. I'm on a new computer and I'm not completely set up yet.

-Eric

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 pm
by Bryan Bear
Wow Eric! This is definitely out of my skill set. I don't mean for you to go through a big hassle on my part though. I am impressed that people can do this stuff from a crummy computer image!

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:56 pm
by Eric Knapp
Bryan Bear wrote:Wow Eric! This is definitely out of my skill set. I don't mean for you to go through a big hassle on my part though. I am impressed that people can do this stuff from a crummy computer image!

My day job is computers, I live and breath them. I get so much from all you experienced folks it is quite nice to be able to share my expertise with you. I want to make a vector version of this and I'll post it when I have the chance.

-Eric

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 pm
by Steve Sawyer
Eric Knapp wrote:I am well versed in computer graphics. The next step is to vectorize that raster image. I'm on a new computer and I'm not completely set up yet.


Sorry, Eric - didn't mean to try to teach my grandmother to suck eggs!! :mrgreen:

Re: Custom kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:37 pm
by Eric Knapp
Steve Sawyer wrote:
Eric Knapp wrote:I am well versed in computer graphics. The next step is to vectorize that raster image. I'm on a new computer and I'm not completely set up yet.


Sorry, Eric - didn't mean to try to teach my grandmother to suck eggs!! :mrgreen:

Heh, no worries. I confuse my students at first because I'm older than their parents but I actually know computers.

-Eric

Re: Custom Kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:47 pm
by Eric Knapp
Here's a vector version of the logo. If that is acceptable then any place that can make decals could use it.

Image

We can't load SVG files here so this is the link to that image on my site.

http://dovetailcomputing.com/images/Logo3.svg

Will that work? The Custom Kraft title will have to wait for a few days, I have a heavy load Mondays Tuesdays.

-Eric

Re: Custom Kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am
by Eric Knapp
And here is the title. I got a really clean pic of it and it is much simpler than the other part. This was very quick so I just did it.

Image

Here's the link to it.

http://dovetailcomputing.com/images/title2.svg

Note to staff: I made those images and they are on my site.

-Eric

Re: Custom Kraft lion peghead decal help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 am
by Bryan Bear
Thank you very much This will do nicely and I'm sure he will be pleased!

BTW, I'm a bit of a buffoon. How do I download the vector image from your site?

Thanks again!