Wood Identification 1874 Vicente Arias.

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Wood Identification 1874 Vicente Arias.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

What materials did Vicente Arias use for the peg head guitar featured at Siccas Guitars?
David King

Re: Wood Identification 1874 Vicente Arias.

Post by David King »

Why don't you put a link into the guitar? I looked but couldn't find it.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Are you asking what type of wood is the peghead veneer?
MIMF Staff
Gilbert Fredrickson

All visible components of this peg head guitar. Hint: the binding is most likely not Apple or Pear wood. The body is Mahogany. It is possible the headplate is Mahogany. The fingerboard, binding, bridge, and pegs may be cuts of Pau Ferro or Brazilian Rosewood. If you can zoom in on the pores and end grain, guessing becomes easier.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Gilbert, the woods may be what you guess, but the images on the web are not good enough to identify anything. The neck, for instance, is light in color which suggests to me that it might be cedro, but 140 year old cedro might be very dark. I don't know.
Why are you curious? Are you commissioned to reproduce this instrument? If so, then you should try to contact someone who has direct access to it.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I would suggest emailing Siccas. The are into maintaining good public relations so if they know (or are able to make a good guess) I am pretty sure they will tell you.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Well, upon expert examination, I believe the fingerboard, headplate, bridge, and binding to be CSA Rosewood. They may have been made from various cuts of the same species.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”