Alder for acoustic instruments?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Chris Mudd

Alder for acoustic instruments?

Post by Chris Mudd »

Hello all!
I just found a very large stash of Alder 2x2 planks at a great price. I don't want to pass on a great deàl if it could be useful. I know it it useful for solid body guitars, it haven't heard of it being used on mandolins or acoustic guitars.

Does anyone use alder for internal parts on acoustic instruments? Is it any use for linings or braces?

Ideas?

Chris
Peter Wilcox

Re: Alder for acoustic instruments?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I too have a large stash of alder, offcuts I picked up over the years from a cabinet shop. I've used it for necks, linings, sides and a back on several acoustic instruments, and of course I've glued up pieces for a number of electric bodies and laminated necks.

I'm an inexperienced hobbyist so take this with a grain of salt, but I've had no failures yet from the alder.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: Alder for acoustic instruments?

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I've built 7 acoustic guitars with Alder kerfings. no problems. I used it because I had it lying around. I've wondered about using it for a top. Would probably be similar to a cherry top, but that's just a guess. Try it and let me know how it goes. :D

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”