LMI wood

Cuban Mahogany

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

Cuban Mahogany

Postby Kary Karahadian » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:12 am

Does anyone have any source recommendations for Cuban Mahogany (neck stock)? I have found a few dealers but am not familiar with any of them.
Kary Karahadian

Re: Cuban Mahogany

Postby Mark Fogleman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 am

Tropical Exotic Hardwood in Carlsbad has carried it in the past. You may also want to search around south Florida and the Keys. There are a few mom and pop lumber mills that saw up deadfall and trees harvested from homes and public property. http://urbanforestrecycling.com/
Mark Fogleman

Postby Kary Karahadian » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks Mark. I shot an email off to the vendor in the Keys you mentioned. Nothing back yet.
Kary Karahadian

Postby Joel Nowland » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Kary

Try Blue Moon Exotic Woods.

http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/price-list

Joel
Joel Nowland

Postby David King » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:38 pm

All the Cuban mahog I've seen was 19th c. plantation stock from Hawaii. I doubt you'll be finding any 3 x 3 stock.
David King

Postby Bill Raymond » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:20 pm

David, Blue Moon has 12/4 Cuban Mahogany. Theirs is from plantation grown trees in the south Pacific (Palau, IIRC). That said, it's possible that CMahogany grown outside its native range may have different characteristics; I don't know anything about that.
Bill Raymond

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A