LMI wood

Les Paul Body

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

Les Paul Body

Postby Phillip Allen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:54 pm

I was considering making a Les Paul body from Sitka spruce with a Maple top. I was going to cut it slightly smaller so I can cover the sides and back with veneer. Anybody have comments on this.
Phillip Allen

Re: Les Paul Body

Postby Mark Swanson » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 pm

What do you expect to gain from it? And veneer is so thin that you would not have to make it any smaller, it adds very little to the overall size.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Postby David King » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 pm

It does seem like a lot of extra work but if it saves some weight and a mahogany tree why not? I'd go for a thicker veneer so you can still round off the back corners without cutting through to the spruce.
David King

Postby Randolph Rhett » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:17 am

Or leave it spruce. It's not like spruce is an ugly wood.
Randolph Rhett

Postby Dave Locher » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:58 pm

I had the same thought: if you're gonna build it out of spruce why go to all the time & trouble of covering it up? That sounds like pretending it's something it's not, which seems odd.
Dave Locher

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A