Brazilian Teak (Dipteryx Odorata)

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Charles Savage

Brazilian Teak (Dipteryx Odorata)

Post by Charles Savage »

Greetings! I just reregistered since it’s been a while. I was hoping to get any feedback regarding using this wood for fretboard’s and if it may contain abrasives (fine sand particles) from its origins.
Øyvind Taraldsen

Re: Brazilian Teak (Dipteryx Odorata)

Post by Øyvind Taraldsen »

I have no personal experience with this wood, but the information i can find about it suggests that it has about the same weight and hardness as ebony, but with a high oil content, and silica particles.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-ide ... ds/cumaru/
The data on this site suggests that it would be good for a fretboard.

With the high oil content, wiping it off with solvent before gluing is probably wise.
Charles Savage

Re: Brazilian Teak (Dipteryx Odorata)

Post by Charles Savage »

Thank you for your response. My interest in it was for a Strat style with a South Pacific nautical theme and I thought this might be a nice fit. However I do have reservations about the oil content and will be researching a bit more before I make a final call on it. A popular woodworking supplier where I live has it on sale next month and for its hardness and cosmetics it caught my eye.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”