Pistachio fret board

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Kary Karahadian

Pistachio fret board

Post by Kary Karahadian »

Anyone have any experience with pistachio as a fret board alternative wood?
Mark Langner

Re: Pistachio fret board

Post by Mark Langner »

I would be tempted to interpret four days of silence as a "no". If you posted this question on April 1, at least you might get a response like "salted, or unsalted".

As Michael Lewis pointed out in another post, "You could try looking up structural qualities of that wood, often found at agricultural university web sites etc. You might have to identify the scientific name though."
Garbage In, Compost Out
David King

Post by David King »

I'd think it would be pretty hard and if it is I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

See: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-ide ... pistachio/
Density is about like maple.
Kary Karahadian

David, that is a great website resource. looks like african ebony is quite a bit harder. i've seen some boards that are visually very striking.
David King

Post by David King »

Curly or ribbon stripe pistashio out of northern California can be stunning.
Ebony? You are talking apples and oranges here.
There are plenty of woods that make ebony look soft is that's what you are after.
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

I've made a fretboard out of snake wood, I can't imagine there is a great deal harder. It seemed to laugh off a centre punch when marking the position dots.

Cheers,
Adam
Kary Karahadian

Not really looking for something harder than ebony, but it is my standard that i judge other fret board woods by. not sure i'd want to build with a wood that is 2/3rds as hard for fear of wear and tear/longevity issues. it is very beautiful, i agree.
David King

Post by David King »

This is true if you are building a fretless bass and planning to use round wound strings. On a fretted guitar it's hardly going to matter especially if you put some sort of finish over the fingerboard (as one would see on a maple board in an electric guitar for instance). You see acoustics and electrics with Indian rosewood boards which are often lighter and softer than rock maple. Some would choose the fingerboard wood for it's sound not just it's durability, that's all I'm saying.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”