Source for Cocobolo Veneer?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Alexander Higgins

Source for Cocobolo Veneer?

Post by Alexander Higgins »

I have a neck-through Alembic style bass project in the dreaming stage, love the cocobolo veneers they use on the body and headstock tops. Where can I get material like this:
http://www.alembic.com/info/featured_custom.html

Any special considerations with cocobolo? Toxicity? Oily and hard to glue?
Rodger Knox

Re: Source for Cocobolo Veneer?

Post by Rodger Knox »

First, the body is probably NOT veneer, it looks like 3/8" to 1/2" thick coco on the front and back with some lighter wood in the core.
Yes, there are concerns with cocobola. It is a sensitizer, so even if working with it doesn't bother you at first, it will soon. Take appropriate precautions. It can be oily and difficult to glue, but with proper preparation and technique it's not that difficult.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Alexander Higgins

Post by Alexander Higgins »

By veneer I meant applied to a substrate, it looks thick, maybe re-sawed from 3/4" stock. The body is laminates of maple and mahogany. Any idea where I can get highly figured cocobolo stock? I assume it's expensive, but maybe not too bad for a one-time project.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

I get cocobola from a local exotic wood dealer. It can be expensive, but it shouldn't be hard to find online.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you buy it as 3/4 inch stock you could resaw it to 5/16ths and book match it get a nice effect.
David King

Post by David King »

You might want to check on the CITES site to see what restrictions currently apply to cocobolo. It was listed in 2011.

Do NOT attempt to use an oil finish on cocobolo, it won't work. Cocobolo is very color sensitive to oxidation, it will start to darken immediately if not sealed under a hard finish.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

David King wrote: Do NOT attempt to use an oil finish on cocobolo, it won't work. Cocobolo is very color sensitive to oxidation, it will start to darken immediately if not sealed under a hard finish.
This is cocobola under the original Rockhard Varnish, I don't remember having any problems with it.
IMGP3249.JPG
David King

Post by David King »

Sorry, I should have specified that tung and linseed oils won't polymerize as expected once they combine with the oil in cocobolo. I don't know what's in Rockhard varnish but it's good to know that it works. Some polyester finishes will also need a rosewood sealer to work correctly.
Larry Davis

Post by Larry Davis »

Coco bolo was listed CITES June 12, 2013. International trade in RAW materials, logs, lumber, veneer, etc. is prohibited without CITES permits. Finished items exempt.
Larry Davis
Gallery Hardwoods
David King

Post by David King »

Thanks for the clarification Larry.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”