Fastener Resources

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Perry Underwood

Fastener Resources

Post by Perry Underwood »

Some time ago, I had the idea of starting a thread that would help us find the types of fasteners used in electric guitar building. The idea was to buy in bulk and save money.

My thought is to have a thread that others can submit information to so that we have a resource when it comes time to buy fasteners.

If it's okay with the moderators, I'll post the company's name and website where I have purchased some small screws. I hope others can also make contributions.

Last summer, I spent quite a bit of time looking online for truss rod cover screws. This is what I found.

Truss Rod Cover and Humbucker Pickup Ring Screws

Micro Fasteners (www.microfasteners.com)

#2 x 1/4 Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws 100 Pieces Plated Philips Head
SMPP0204

#2 x 3/8 Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws 100 Pieces Plated Philips Head
SMPP0206

The above screws (and longer ones) are also available in black oxide.

I have successfully used the #2 x 3/8 screws for humbucker rings, even the angled bridge ring. Micro Fasteners also has these screws in longer sizes.

I also looked for wood screws for Strat and Tele fixed bridges. I found that #5 x 1 is a good size, although #4 x 1 will also work. I can't remember the website I bought these from, although they may not be as difficult to find as smaller screws. The ones I bought were made by PFC (Porteous Fastener Co. (Brighton-Best International). However, they sell only through distributors.

PFC Part # for the #5 x 1 screws is 00521-0516-401. I believe they are zinc plated.

I hope this thread will be of interest to those who may have difficulty finding small screws in bulk amounts.
Mark Swanson

Re: Fastener Resources

Post by Mark Swanson »

Good idea, thanks for the links. I have been looking for a good source for pickguard screws, too.
Maybe Charlie will even make this a "sticky" topic so it's always right here.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Another good source for small screws/bolts and such are model airplane suppliers.
Perry Underwood

Post by Perry Underwood »

Mario, would you have a favorite model airplane supplier that sells online and what parts usable in guitar building are available from them? I believe that would be very helpful.

I checked my past emails and found that I bought the #5 x 1 wood screws, phillips oval head and zinc plated, from ASMC Industrial (http://www.asmc.net)

This is the direct link to the #5 x 1 wood screws.
http://www.asmc.net/5x1-wood-screw-phil ... ed-pk-100/

Another source is Fastener Mart (http://www.fastenermart.com/html/index.html).

This is the direct link to the type of wood screws used for Strat and Tele bridges, although they are zinc plated.

http://www.fastenermart.com/html/680660060060.html

They don't seem to have the #5 x 1 inch screw, however.

One screw I could not find during my search was the type used for saddle adjustment in Strat and Tele fixed bridges. I believe it is a #4 machine screw, but I am not sure about the thread count. That's one problem I encountered in finding machine screws. Most if not all machine screws used for electric guitars seem to be fine thread and not course thread. Most machine screws available seem to be course thread.
David Foster

Post by David Foster »

I found out about a good part resource place a few years ago when I got into sailing. West marine and other boating related stores have slot head screws in a lot of desirable small sizes. FYI I have always preferred a slotted head over a phillips head.
David Robinson

Post by David Robinson »

West Marine, or any of the local marine stores, have always been my go to for stainless fasteners.
Here is a hint for sizing screws and bolts, getting the right length will save you buying a bag of the wrong stuff. On McMaster- Carr ( mcmaster.com ) If you follow the links to parts pricing and quantity, there is a link to part info and sizing. Most times there is a dimensioned 4-view drawing and a choice of 2d and 3d models. Often you can find the parts for less from someone other than McMaster.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

You can also use the AMAZON tools and hardware logo at the bottom of this page to buy through them. They sell for a lot of independent stores and some distributors, and often have what you want, and for a good price. If you buy through them MIMF gets a %, just sayin'.
David Robinson

Post by David Robinson »

I am putting together a cheat-spreadsheet of screw sizing for guitar building. For instance:
snap.png
snap.png (9.41 KiB) Viewed 181214 times
Anone have additions, or suggestions? I am always fumbling around for the right size and always guessing wrong.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

David Robinson wrote:I am putting together a cheat-spreadsheet of screw sizing for guitar building. For instance:
snap.png
Anone have additions, or suggestions? I am always fumbling around for the right size and always guessing wrong.
this is a great idea and would be a fantastic reference resource.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

They can be a touch pricy on some things but you can't beat their website.

www.mcmaster.com

You can get just about ANYTHING hardware or tool related there.
Ed Haney

Post by Ed Haney »

Perry Underwood wrote:Mario, would you have a favorite model airplane supplier that sells online and what parts usable in guitar building are available from them? I believe that would be very helpful....
I'm not Mario, but my Dad and I previously flew RC airplanes. Tower Hobbies http://towerhobbies.com is by far the largest seller online or by mailorder for modeling stuff of all kinds. RC cars and trucks use a lot of nuts, bolts and screws too. Good Luck.

Ed
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Welcome to the MIMF Ed!
MIMF Staff
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I've been using McMasterCarr for years. I buy oval head phillips screws in #4, 8, 10, and 12 typically in bulk and for how cheap they end up being I don't really charge customers when I replace missing ones. Unfortunately, they don't have #3 screws for Gibsons. I make it a point to have at least 100 #4 screws on hand all the time. They also have an extended assortment of allen head screws for saddles in both standard and metric sizes in ever length you'd ever require.
David King

Post by David King »

Two obvious places for guitar screws in bulk are Allparts and WD Products but the savings aren't there if you don't have reseller's account. I often see the bulk packages posted on Ebay for much less so check there or on Reverb once you know the Allparts part number.
The cheapest source for stainless screws of all types is Albany County Fasteners on Ebay. Get into their ebay store and then search for that you need.
Most domestic saddle height screws are 4-40 size so stock up on the 3/16"-3/8" lengths in 1/16" increments. Asian made bridges all use metric size screws, most typically M3x.50 Guitar intonation screws are either 4-40 or 6-32 though finding lengths longer than 1" can be a problem. Finding black or gold is even trickier. Allparts has them but alternate sources are https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x?search=screws and https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.co ... on=product
The former has wholesale accounts which the latter doesn't but you can arrange bulk purchase discounts if you are getting enough of something.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”