Spanish Cedar as solidbody

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Michael Baresi

Spanish Cedar as solidbody

Post by Michael Baresi »

I'm doing a modified tele build and I'm considering using Spanish Cedar as the body with a maple neck.
I like the idea of a lighter guitar (getting too old to lift a LP ) and I'm hoping it will contribute to the tone.
Since I have only built a couple of solid bodies this is an experiment in wood for me. My hypothesis is I may get a warmer tone and lighter weight ? Perhaps similar to mahogany? I've tried basswood so I'm looking for something else this time.
(I'll be using a hardtail bridge and two bill lawrence pu's.)
Ive searched the forum and there is mention about using it as bracing and necks.
Has anyone done a build w sc as the body?
Paul Rhoney

Re: Spanish Cedar as solidbody

Post by Paul Rhoney »

I've made I don't even know how many solid body guitars with Spanish Cedar, and I'm definitely not the only one. Kauer Guitars uses the stuff religiously, DGN, McInturff, Berumen, and quite a few others have all used the stuff extensively in recent years. I actually started using it less in the last year, because I felt like it was getting to where everyone was using it, and I like to be different. Anyway, it's great for bodies (not as stiff as I like for necks, but still OK), has a tone similar to an old Mahogany, or Swamp Ash.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”