Bog Oak

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Simon Bailey

Bog Oak

Post by Simon Bailey »

Its difficult to find much information about this wood.

I'd like to use some as fingerboard material, but I can't seem to find much information about it.
Some builders have used it as back and sides, but I'm thinking Electric guitar FBs

Anyone know its tonal characteristics and suitability?
Tony Costa

Re: Bog Oak

Post by Tony Costa »

If it is hard, and I suspect it is, and dry, which can be arranged, it should make a fine fret board. If you can hear a tonal difference using the oak versus any other wood in the world, you win one internet. Especially plugged in. With effects. You could use concrete and it wont make a difference to the tone. But that is just my opinion of course.
PMoMC
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

If you can get hold of some, I understand that it is a fine fingerboard timber. If I recall, Brook guitars of Devon recently had a guitar with a bog oak fb reviewed in a guitar mag. Damned if I can remember which one though.

Adam
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Hi the article is in Acoustic magazine, it has bog oak back and sides too. Also lots of good info on their web page http://www.brookguitars.com/ The online mag Babblong Brook is worth a look

Cheers, Bob
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

If you have a look at Babbling Brook issue 1 (see last post) there is an article about using native British timbers for acoustic guitars!

Bob
Simon Bailey

Post by Simon Bailey »

Thanks guys.
If anyone knows which issue (month) of Acoustic guitar mag it was in, I'll see if I can get it on back order.

I don't want to sound like a snob, but tonewood really does make a detrimental difference to the "tone" of the guitar. Whilst, on an electric guitar, the fingerboard material makes only a small difference on sound, it is still a contributing factor.

I was always say that "tone" is subjective, and is mainly from the players perspective. If, as listeners we hear a guitarist playing at a live show, can we hear what the woods are that have made that guitar?
I say no.
We can't hear if that guitar has Ash or Alder body, similarly we can't hear if it has an Ebony or Rosewood fingerboard.
If we are in a controlled environment, a trained ear may be able to tell you in a blind test what species of woods are used (I can't). But Even a untrained ear could hear the difference between a plywood acoustic guitar and a guitar made from quality tonewoods, but it would take a trained ear to, in a blind test, "hear" what tonewoods are used.
So...
If the player can't hear or determine the difference between tonewoods why bother changing them?
I for one believe its in the feel. I believe that "tone" is more "felt" than "heard"
Subtle differences in the the way the guitar responds under the players fingers. The way notes "spring" or "snap", or how they sustain or decay. How notes give musical feedback and how the guitar "responds" under the players touch. I believe that these are more apparent than actual tonal differences.
When we get to gig volumes and we're playing at 100miles an hour with a huge amp behind you. The guitar is going to start coming alive. I mean really alive, and the tonewoods its made from will start feeling very different.
I still don't think you will be able to say blindfolded what species of timber is used, but you'd be able to tell the difference between a maple and ebony fingerboard. It will just play differently and "feel" different.

Anyhoo, thats my 2 pence worth. I think tone is something you feel, not hear. (when talking about tonewoods that is, obviously amp tone and pickup tone is very audible).

...So, anyone actually played bog oak?
Or, just as importantly, worked with it? How well does it machine? I've heard it splinters something terrible, worse than wenge.
Simon Bailey

Post by Simon Bailey »

Oh, and I have read that article. Most helpful. Thanks

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”