Mexican Marimba?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Warren May

Mexican Marimba?

Post by Warren May »

I bought a piece of wood at my local hardwood supplier yesterday that they labeled "Mexican Marimba". Has anyone heard of this wood and is there another name for it? I can't find anything on the web about it. It looks a little like a red mesquite and this piece had a small stripe of spalted sapwood that looked nice.
Dave Weir

Re: Mexican Marimba?

Post by Dave Weir »

Platymiscium spp. Strangely enough, they make Marimbas out of it. I've seen it at wood floor stores. Looks like it has potential for neck or even fret board.
Warren May

Re: Mexican Marimba?

Post by Warren May »

Thanks, Dave. That must be what it is. Here's a website with a description. http://www.hardwoodemporium.com/Marimba ... r_Pcs.html
Mine looks like the second piece from the left with some sapwood and spalting. It has a very nice "ring" when tapped so I can see it being used for marimba keys. Other places on the web call it grenadillo but it doesn't quite look as open grain as what I've bought as grenadillo in the past. I think you are right that it would make good necks but the web shows builders using it as back/side sets. The piece I have is about 6" wide so it might resaw into a small guitar or tenor uke.

Thanks again for identifying it.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”