CA glue shelf life and why "instrument grade"

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
David King

Re: CA glue shelf life and why "instrument grade"

Post by David King »

I just get surplus Kynar tape off ebay. It's not cheap but a roll will last a very long time.
Nick Middleton

Post by Nick Middleton »

If you put the tape on the the scraper, you can flex the scraper a little and angle it forward to cut a little deeper than the tape is elevating the blade at.

For me it makes a great way to first knock it down to a rough and controlled depth before I flex and tilt for final leveling.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

A note on the Stew Mac CA with whip tips. I use those and have found that I can just leave the whip tip on all the time with no change in the glue shelf life that I can see (i.e. I don't bother to remove the whip tip and re-cap the glue bottle). When I finish using them I always take a scrap of paper towel or rag and, pointing the tip up, clear the tip of any left over CA. I find the glue is always ready to use and, as long as I don't forget to clean the tip, I don't have to trim the tip ends. I've been doing this with their #10 thin and #20 medium for at least the last year.

When the CA gets thick I throw it away. I also keep all the CA in a glass baking dish. I've had the bottles split on the seams from age (I suppose) and leak all over. The glass dish keeps the damage localized.
David King

Post by David King »

I buy my polymide tape off ebay. It's not something a hobby shop would have heard of as it's used to mask PCBs in wave solder tanks or ovens.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”