LMI wood

victoria cypress

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

victoria cypress

Postby Simon Magennis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I have seen a European tonewood dealer offering "victoria cypress" but I didn't get a chance to ask what it is. I believe I this term recently. Could it be another name for Alaskan Yellow Cedar?
Simon Magennis

Re: victoria cypress

Postby Clay Schaeffer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Southern yellow cedar? <g> Maybe yellow cedar from Victoria, B.C.
Clay Schaeffer

Postby G.S. Monroe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Victoria Cypress?
It's also called Golden Cypress, and it's from "Down Under" in Australia and New Zealand.
http://www.goldencypress.com.au/
G.S. Monroe

Postby Simon Magennis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 am

Hmm ... looks like I will have to follow this up with the seller. I saw one sample just in passing at the Frankfurt music fair but the guy on the stand was busy.
Simon Magennis

Postby Nick Dingle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:41 am

Consensus opinion down here is that it's good for back and sides on classicals, and that it. Not soundboard material at all. I have a set of it sold a top wood, and I'm gonna try it.....one day....

It is, in fact, Monterey Cypress.....so far as I know...
Nick Dingle

Postby Wayne Brown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:04 am

Monterey Cypress is being used for b&s on flamenco guitars. It is said that the tone is very close to the tone of spanish cypress and the cost is much less than sp cypress.
Wayne Brown

Postby Miguel Bernardo » Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm

which dealer was it Simmon? it must be a regional name, i have no idea of a cypress (true or false) with that name.
Miguel Bernardo

Postby Simon Magennis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 am

Miguel Bernardo wrote:which dealer was it Simmon? it must be a regional name, i have no idea of a cypress (true or false) with that name.

It was actually Barbero from Valencia. I saw it on his stand at the Frankfurt music fair. I only noticed it after i was going away and they were already busy with someone else. I didn't get chance to go back to the stand and ask. I could always email but haven't. :)
Simon Magennis

Postby Miguel Bernardo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm

sorry for such a late reply, in their catalogue Barber lists both euro/mediterranean cypress (C. sempervirens) and Alaskan Yellow Cedar / Nootka Cypress (C. nootkatensis), but maybe they had something special for the fair?

Anyway, their nootka is dirt cheap and very good value for money - i bought maybe 4 sets and the grain is very straight and uniform. Very different from euro cypress (it´s a distant cousin), much whiter and the smell less pungent, with hints of pepper, vinegar and parsley (to my nose, this stuff is obviously subjective).

all the best,
Miguel.
Miguel Bernardo

Postby Simon Magennis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:37 pm

@Miguel
Have you used any of the sets yet?
Simon Magennis

Postby Miguel Bernardo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 pm

no, but i´m about to. already jointed and joined the paltes (for a back), will start working on it in a couple of months, if all goes well. density is around 400 g/cm3.
Miguel Bernardo

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A