LMI wood

ROWLUX ! ! THAT'S what that !@#$%! stuff is ! !

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

ROWLUX ! ! THAT'S what that !@#$%! stuff is ! !

Postby Alan Peterson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am

I've always had a peripheral fascination of the Rickenbacker "Light Show" guitar (no shortage of pix on Google Image), and the lenticular material used in warping and diffusing the lights inside the body. It was the same stuff used on the front of old "color organ" cabinets of the late '60s/early '70s and the backdrop of the Star Trek transporter room on TV. It was cool-looking and definitely belonged to the '60s.

It wasn't until only recently I found the stuff again. For anyone else in my boat, it is called "Rowlux" and is manufactured by Rowland Technologies of Connecticut. And even though I don't have a single use for it now, I still want about 10 yards of the stuff ... just because... :D

Other than drum wraps and maybe some amplifier panel resurfacing, has anyone ever worked with it on a guitar project? Even just a pickguard or control plate?
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
User avatar
Alan Peterson
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm
Location: Washington DC USA

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Your purchase from these sites helps support the MIMForum, but only if you start at the links below!!!
Amazon music     Amazon books     Amazon tools     Rockler tools     Office Depot    

The MIMF is a member-supported forum, please consider supporting us with a donation, thanks!
 • Book store • Tool store • Links •