LMI wood

Spanish cedar billets

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

Spanish cedar billets

Postby Kary Karahadian » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Can anyone suggest a source for split spanish cedar billets. I brace my backs with sc, but so far have only found sawn stock. sometimes you split it and don't have anything usable.

thanks,
kary
Kary Karahadian

Re: Spanish cedar billets

Postby Chuck Tweedy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 pm

SC is frequently "ribbon figured" so I would assume that it can have interlocked grain. That's not going to split.
What's wrong with sawn stock for woods like these (SC & Mahog)?
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Spanish cedar billets

Postby Kary Karahadian » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:17 pm

the bracestock i've always gotten from the 'standard sources' has always split quite easily, just never along the stock's long axis since it's sawn and not split (too much waste for me). I agree that if you can't split it you probably don't need to concern yourself with runout. Never used mahogony braces, it may behave differently (?).
Kary Karahadian

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A