Bending Jotaba

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Robert Freemond

Bending Jotaba

Post by Robert Freemond »

I've recently bent some Jotaba for sides & the results were not so good. The wood cupped in several places over the length & seems to be related to the curliness of the grain in the spot where it warped. Anyone have any experience with Jotaba ? By the way, I'm using a Fox bender with stainless shim stock(.012) + a heat blanket. I start my bend at 250*.
Nicholas Blanton

Re: Bending Jotaba

Post by Nicholas Blanton »

I suspect there's a lot of difference in shrinkage between flat-sawn and quarter-sawn jatoba, that makes anything not one or the other move a lot. And there's hard-to-see reaction wood as well- which could be the curliness you noticed. Run-of-the-mill jatoba boards often bend and warp when ripped down to size, and generally show a mind of their own, even after long dry storage. It's also possible that, since the stuff is often sold as flooring, it is badly kiln-dried as well. It's cheap enough, I'd throw out the sides you've bent and try some more with the most boring figure and the most vertical grain you can find.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

How wet did you get it when you bent it? Use hardly any water at all, even dry works just fine. Too much water- even just a little too much- will cause that cupping.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Robert Freemond

Post by Robert Freemond »

Mark, You may be right. It's been hot here in LA so I spritzed both sides & wrapped the sides in foil. I've seen Taylor's Videos & he uses no water at all. I'll try your suggestion & also what Nicholas said about straight grain. I might also look for some stiffer shim stock for my bender.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”