Other names for rock maple?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
David Knutson

Other names for rock maple?

Post by David Knutson »

I'm planning to build a hammered dulcimer. It's suggested that the best material for the pin blocks is rock maple. I went to my local wood store and they had western maple, eastern maple and birds-eye maple. Are any of these a substitute for rock maple?

( I asked at the store and the guy said they all seemed pretty hard to him?)
Paul Dzatko

Re: Other names for rock maple?

Post by Paul Dzatko »

It's also known as Sugar Maple or Hard Maple
-Acer saccharum
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Rock maple is hard maple (often called sugar maple). I would guess the western and eastern maples they have are soft maples. Bird’s eye is most often found in hard maple but it does show up in soft maple less often (as I understand it). So, the bird’s eye they have is likely hard maple. Below is a pretty good article from wood database about hard and soft maple:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-arti ... oft-maple/

As for pin blocks, I don’t know if soft maples are up to the task or not.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Soft maple will DEFINITELY NOT work as pin block material.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I was thinking about this again last night. I'm surprised that a hardwood dealer would not have immediately known you were referring to hard maple when you said "rock maple" and stating that they all seemed pretty hard to him is a bit disconcerting. A hardwood dealer would know the difference between hard maple and soft maple. Perhaps had you spoken to a more experienced employee if they would have directed you to the hard maple pile.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”