Wood binding grain direction?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Eric Knapp

Wood binding grain direction?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Another basic question from a rookie. Should binding strips be quarter-sawn, flat-sawn, or rift? The rosewood strips that have been giving me so much trouble are quarter-sawn and appears to have lots of runout. I’m trying a piece that is perfectly flat-sawn and was cut along a grain line. It is bending very easily with no breakage. Is this a matter of doing what works for the wood or is there a general guideline?

Thanks,

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Re: Wood binding grain direction?

Post by Barry Daniels »

It does not matter. Runout can cause splits but quarter-sawn or flat, no diff.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I agree. QS only matters to me when I am trying to have medullary rays show up in the binding. Runnout is a separate issue from QS or FS.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

QS makes the best looking binding with curly wood, but it's harder to bend than skew cut, which can look almost as good. Straight grain QS wood also tends to twist less than skew or flat cut in my experience, but run out can cause problems for sure. You have to pick the binding wood as carefully as any other in the build.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”