TV Jones Thunder'tron alternatives

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...

TV Jones Thunder'tron alternatives

Postby Keith Brown » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Starting to get the itch to make an instrument, and I am thinking I'd do a bass this time. Being a Gretsch fan, I was thinking I'd go for something akin to the Filtertrons. I know that TV Jones has the Thunder'tron, which Gretsch uses on the Billy Bo and White Falcon basses. They're a bit on the pricey side though, and would delay the project. Anyone know of something similar?
Keith Brown

Re: TV Jones Thunder'tron alternatives

Postby David King » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Tom is your guy, I don't know of anyone else doing them and I can't imagine a similar pickup selling for any less. Maybe luck into a set of used Hammond Dark Stars? Some Hagstrom Vintage bass pickups?
David King

Re: TV Jones Thunder'tron alternatives

Postby Keith Brown » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:46 pm

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll back burner the bass, and do the Cabronita instead I have been gathering parts for. I have pretty much everything do that, with just a handful of cheaper parts remaining (hardtail fender bridge, and pots)

Just been wanting to do a bass since I have numerous guitars (10 by current count). Damn me and my expensive taste!
Keith Brown

Return to Electronics