Audio taper for tone?

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Steve Sawyer

Audio taper for tone?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I know that an audio taper pot is preferred for volume controls, but is this true also for tone controls, or are those usually linear pots?
==Steve==
David King

Re: Audio taper for tone?

Post by David King »

What ever works best for you with your cable's capacitance and your amp's input impedance. I would suggest trying an audio taper first since they are easier to find and then going to a linear taper if the log taper doesn't work well enough for you.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, David - so there is no common practice? I just added a couple of clearance Mighty Mite 250k linear pots to a StewMac order, and was wondering if they'd be worth using for tone controls.
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

Common practice is to do things as cheaply and profitably as possible so reducing the parts inventory is routine in any industry. You may hear a difference with your set up or you might not. We are talking about subtracting treble from a signal and that's subtle and highly dependent on the surrounding circuit.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

David King wrote:Common practice is to do things as cheaply and profitably as possible so reducing the parts inventory is routine in any industry.
Hah - yeah! :)

I'll be using these on a new build, and for $2.50 each, I bought a few to play with.
==Steve==

Return to “Electronics”