Aguilar OBP-3 and DCB Pickups

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
David Grier

Aguilar OBP-3 and DCB Pickups

Post by David Grier »

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? Hello MIMF Family,

I need your HELP DESPERATELY. I have taken on the task of Building (Which I have Completed), now I am trying my hand at Electronics and I am having a VERY DIFFICULT TIME. I tried pulling the wiring diagram (to No avail), and I can't find anyone locally who can show me how the wiring is to be done. If you have the above mentioned electronics, can you please take a picture of how it should be wired to work, or if you have electronic experience, please HELP ME.....GOD BLESS! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Mark Swanson

Re: Aguilar OBP-3 and DCB Pickups

Post by Mark Swanson »

Well, it would help if you could supply more details, maybe a link to the pickups website and tell us what they are.
A quick google search turned up this page. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... am&es_th=1
So what problem are you having specifically?
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I just did an install like this last week. These are very easy to wire so perhaps you could tell us what you are trying to do? There are many ways to wire these up. Midrange switch? Active passive switch? Pickup blend or two volumes? Passive tone pot?
David Grier

Post by David Grier »

I'm sorry everyone....I was at work when I sent the 1st Inquiry. Here is a link to the Pickups (http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_pickups_AGDCB.htm) I have the G5 pickups. I want to have Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume and Blend. The diagram that I have is showing the switch with the resistors being an option. I should have asked the question differently. Do I need the switch in order for this to be configured correctly? I also would like to know if I am required to have a ground going to the body of the Bass Guitar. I'll post some pictures when I get off of work to show what progress I have made and maybe Mark Swanson or David King can lead me in the right direction. :) :) :) :)
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

The switch allows you to choose between two midrange center frequencies. You can omit the switch, but that will "confine" you to either the 400hz or 800hz option. There are five pages of wiring options. If you look at the last page, #s 2 and 3 show how to choose either frequency (and omit the switch).

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf

By "Ground going to the body..." I assume you are asking if the strings need to be grounded. I really don't know but you can run a ground wire to under the bridge and see if noise is reduced when you touch the strings. If noise is reduced, then the strings need to be grounded. I am ready to be corrected if my grounding advice is wrong.
David King

Post by David King »

As Joshua has said that mid switch is optional. I usually wire the 400-800 switch on a push/pull 50k center detent mid pot (comes with the circuit if you order it that way). If I had to choose one freq. I'd go with the 400Hz probably.

I don't know anything about the pickups except that they are probably a copy of Kent Armstrong's work for Ken Smith. Aguilar shamelessly copied Nordstrand on their Fender pickups, that seems to be the way they operate.

Return to “Electronics”