Piezo Cable Source

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Paul E Buerk

Piezo Cable Source

Post by Paul E Buerk »

I'm working on a project and need an undersaddle pickup for it, around 4" long. I'd planned on using a Fishman Presys+, cutting off the existing piezo cable, and attaching a longer piece. However, none of the places mentioned online sell it in reasonable amounts. One sells it by the inch but is out of stock, and the others that used to sell it have stopped selling it. DigiKey and Mouser want 1000 meters or more as a minimum order. My local distributor referred me back to Measurement Specialties which had a $750 minimum.

Any ideas? I was hoping to buy a foot or a yard, but not 1000 meters...

If it's not possible to get a reasonable amount at a reasonable price, I'll consider switching to a film type. The big ones from Artec might work, but they're still setup for 6 strings, and this is for a 4 string EUB. Does it really matter if they're designed for 6 strings, or is it all just pressure under the saddle anyway? The dang saddle itself is going to be substantial.

Thanks -
David King

Re: Piezo Cable Source

Post by David King »

Paul,

Contact Fishman and see if they can supply you with a custom length. I have trouble imagining why you would need 4" for a 4 string EUB.
On 5 string acoustic basses I've used 2 saddle segments with 2 under saddle pickups cut to length and connected them in parallel.

If all else fails I know someone with a spool of the security footfall detection piezo cable and I can put you in touch with them but it's less refined than the stuff most pickup makers are using now.
Paul E Buerk

Re: Piezo Cable Source

Post by Paul E Buerk »

I did find pinpegpickups, and they have it in stock as of this morning, so ordered a bit.

On the string spacing at the bridge, this is my first crack at an EUB, so I'm going by what I'm seeing out there on other instruments. Most notable example is the NS Design models, which are 3.66". I've seen others that are closer to fretless bass guitar spacing at .75" between strings, and all over the map after that. Since I'm the one playing it, I set it at an even 3" which is close to some acoustic upright bass dimensions that I've found online. This would put it at a half inch on either side of the outside strings, and to me that seems reasonable. Others with more experience than I might disagree. The upside is that this isn't an expensive project to undertake, so worst case I'll have to rebuild.

Return to “Electronics”