1 humbucker wiring possibility

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Eric Schmitt

1 humbucker wiring possibility

Post by Eric Schmitt »

I'm doing a 1 humbucker guitar and was kicking around this idea. Would it be possible to treat each coil like a seperate pickup and have 2 volume controls (1 for each coil)? I'm attaching a quick diagram of what I'm thinking and how it may be wired, would this work?
Attachments
1 humbucker, volume control for each coil
1 humbucker, volume control for each coil
David King

Re: 1 humbucker wiring possibility

Post by David King »

Sure, provided your pickup comes with 4 conductor cable. You won't be able to get series wiring, only parallel -if that matters.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I would recommend looking up the articles about "Esquire" winding on Premiere Guitar written earlier this year. There is about 3 articles that explore using a stacked humbucker in a tele and all the switching and coil cutting possibilities. Well worth checking out.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

Some Jazz Bass wiring is similar to your diagram with a master tone thrown in. Google Jazz Bass wiring. You might also look at mods posted online. You can add a switch or push-pull pot to get series-parallel which would be a fairly easy mod. Another simple mod would be to do a reverse so you could get in and out of phase within the pickup. Probably other ways to wire but these mods would give you a range of sounds. You might want to think about adding a simple switch in a "third hole" position that chooses between 2 capacitor values or you could add a varitone switch to take advantage of the single/dual coil sounds.
Eric Schmitt

Post by Eric Schmitt »

If that setup will only give me parallel wiring I'm not going to go that way. The idea actually came to me when looking at wiring for a p/j bass. I still have a good bit of time before I get to the wiring. Now I'm leaning toward doing a mini switch for seaies/parallel wiring, or maybe trying one of those triple shot rings from seymour duncan.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

check out this http://www.smitspickups.com/coiltapping.htm this is a circuit that i am going to do next.

Return to “Electronics”