Zither Pins with large hole

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.

Zither Pins with large hole

Postby James Thomas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 pm

I am looking for zither pins that have a string hole that is larger than standard size. I have used these standard size zither pins from Gitty in the past: https://www.cbgitty.com/tuners-machine- ... ther-pins/ but I am looking for a pin that has a larger string hole size.

Anyone know a source?

Thanks in advance!
James Thomas

Re: Zither Pins with large hole

Postby Daryl Kosinski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Why not drill the holes a little larger?
Daryl Kosinski

Postby James Thomas » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Daryl Kosinski wrote:Why not drill the holes a little larger?

That would be my last option. I was hoping to find some that were manufactured with larger holes
James Thomas

Postby Caley Hand » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 pm

James, I used bronze wrapped strings on my Zither refurbishment. I had the same problem with those strings being too fat. The only solution to using the same pins is to remove the wrappings from the core music wire.

What I did was pull each string taut to measure how long it needed to be. I then cut it to length. After that, I again pulled the string taut, and then measured how far past the bridge I wished the wound string to remain wound. I then used my various pliers and wire cutters to get the windings loose, then just pulled the windings off to the point I had just measured. Things turned out OK for someone who has never touched a musical instrument until the Zither came into my hands. I've attached a picture of the old Zither with new strings. CaleyAnn
Attachments
Zither New Strings.jpg
Caley Hand

Postby James Thomas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 am

Caley Hand wrote:James, I used bronze wrapped strings on my Zither refurbishment. I had the same problem with those strings being too fat. The only solution to using the same pins is to remove the wrappings from the core music wire.

What I did was pull each string taut to measure how long it needed to be. I then cut it to length. After that, I again pulled the string taut, and then measured how far past the bridge I wished the wound string to remain wound. I then used my various pliers and wire cutters to get the windings loose, then just pulled the windings off to the point I had just measured. Things turned out OK for someone who has never touched a musical instrument until the Zither came into my hands. I've attached a picture of the old Zither with new strings. CaleyAnn

Thanks, I hadn't thought of trying that
James Thomas

Postby Clay Schaeffer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am

Caley,
You're teaching this old dog some new tricks! :D
Clay Schaeffer

Postby Steve Sawyer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:29 am

Clay Schaeffer wrote:Caley,
You're teaching this old dog some new tricks! :D

Interesting how that happens! :)