Grain-matched control cavity covers

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Grain-matched control cavity covers

Postby Steve Sawyer » Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 am

I've admired the guitars with control-cavity covers that are cut from the back of the body blank so the grain matches the back of the body (usually secured with rare-earth magnets).

Since I'm working on a chambered body, with both the front and back being "caps" on the center portion to be band-sawed for the chambering, I'm wondering if I could give this a shot.

It would seem that I could simply use a very fine blade in my scroll saw to cut these out of the back cap. The question would be then, what is a good technique for providing a "ledge" on which these covers will rest? I can think of a number of methods (some of them pretty janky! :) ) but so many have done this, I'm sure there are some tried-and-true methods. I did a search for this, but didn't seem to get any useful hits.

Would appreciate any pointers to threads, videos or other resources to help me figure this out.

Thanks!
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Re: Grain-matched control cavity covers

Postby Freeman Keller » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Since my solid body and chambered electrics are all built out of wood that doesn't have strong grain (ie mahogany) I just use another piece of mahogany to make my covers.

And with a totally hollow body you certainly could glue a piece of wood inside to support the covers (and their screws or magnets) I just route the cavity to leave a lip.

If I ever have a totally beautiful piece of wood that I want to perfectly match the grain I'll probably take it to a friend with a CNC laser to cut the pieces out
Freeman Keller

Postby Christ Kacoyannakis » Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 pm

When I bought my mahogany body blanks, I asked the seller to sell me slightly thicker blanks, and then he cut a slice off the back. Since this is pretty straight grained mahogany, the grain on the thin slice should match pretty well. I think you technique should work well too. By the time you put finish on the back and the covers, there should not be much of a gap at all.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Postby David King » Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I take a slice off the back for my covers but I've also done the cutouts with a 1/16" end mill in the router and then bound the edge with a contrasting veneer to make up the kerf.
David King

Postby Steve Sawyer » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks, folks.

Freeman - I may just back off and use your technique. I should have some nice scrap from cutting the chambering that should match the back well enough, and I've already COMPLETELY violated my KISS intentions when I started this build, so maybe I should think about doing the grain-matched covers on a future build, particularly if I use some heavily-figured stock. This is ribbon-stripe sapele that I'm using, so it should look fine, even if the grain doesn't match exactly.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Postby Randolph Rhett » Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Slicing a piece off the blank before you build is the only sure fire way to get a tight fitting grain matched cover. Even with a scroll saw, the kerf will probably be bigger than you are looking for. I don’t have a picture, but I’ve used a cutoff of the top rather than try to match the back wood. Of course, you are sandwiching two drop tops, so that wouldn’t work for you.
Randolph Rhett

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars