Luthier Clamps

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
DJ Parker

Luthier Clamps

Post by DJ Parker »

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give a thanks to the YouTube participants who put 'Building Luthier Clamps' on there for us to use. I modeled these after a British based video from Workshop Essentials with a fellow named Steve Maskery. Very good instruction so Cheers Steve!

With those type of clamps being so costly and the typical bar clamp being a bit too beefy I tried my hand at building some luthier clamps and I must say I'm proud of them. It is rewarding to build the tools that are going to be used to build guitars and although it is necessary for me simply due to funds, I believe that even with an endless stream of cash I would still build the jigs and tools. From what I have read most of you fellow builders enjoy that as well.

These are constructed of Oak and Walnut with no metal components at all and they seem quite strong enough for clamping guitar parts especially tops and backs to the sides. They are faster to use as well so that is a plus.

Anyway, I'm just gloating a little. Now I"m off to build about 30 more.

Regards,
DJ Parker
Attachments
smclamp2.jpg
smclamp2.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
smclamp1.jpg
smclamp1.jpg (105.66 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Steve Senseney

Re: Luthier Clamps

Post by Steve Senseney »

Those look nice.

I need to get around to making some!
Darrel Friesen

Re: Luthier Clamps

Post by Darrel Friesen »

They do look nice. Not sure about the wooden bars though. I made some with aluminum bars that didn't feel like they had enough clamping pressure for my tastes. Steel was much better for me.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”