Rosette for Ovation Ultra Model 1528

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andrew Watkinson

Rosette for Ovation Ultra Model 1528

Post by Andrew Watkinson »

I need to replace a damaged rosette for my Ovation Ultra. The original rosette not a decal or inlay, it is plastic and was glued on around the sound hole. It has kind of a lip on the inside that drops into the sound hole about 1/8" and the ring is a smidge over 1" wide. I'm waiting to hear from Ovation but my local music store and another luthier both tell me they probably can't help me anyway.

I reckon my options are to find a new one through this forum or some other, or create something new out of wood that will roughly match the original in dimensions. I probably lack the skill to do a nice job so I am hoping someone here can help me find a replacement or suggest something else.

Many thanks ..

Andrew
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Rosette for Ovation Ultra Model 1528

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I've made purfling rings out of wood. If you have a router and a circle cutting jig it is not too difficult. You can make a circle cutting jig fairly easily if you don't have one. One of the simplest jigs is a replacement sub-base with holes drilled in it at set distances from the router bit to accept a dowel mounted in the center of the circle you wish to cut out. You can make a purfling ring with a lip similar to excavating for a rosette and soundhole and then cutting the circle out of the work piece. For the soundhole rout, I rout almost, but not quite through the work piece and when done routing cut it out with a razor knife.
Attachments
circle jig 2.jpg
circle jig.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

P.S. - If you can find a scrap of corian you could rout one out of that material and possibly have one more similar to the original.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

You need one of these?
rosette.JPG
rosette.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 6460 times
What's the inside diameter of the soundhole? I saw a gazillion Asian replacements on Ebay but this is "Genuine" Ovation...
Andrew Watkinson

Joshua Levin-Epstein wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:46 pm You need one of these?
rosette.JPG
What's the inside diameter of the soundhole? I saw a gazillion Asian replacements on Ebay but this is "Genuine" Ovation...
That is exactly what I need!

The sound hole is cut kinda roughly but the inside diameter of the ring is 4" and the outside diameter is 6-1/8" (pretty close). Where do I find such a thing? I didn't come a cross anything on Ebay.

Thanks ... this is encouraging.

Andrew
Andrew Watkinson

Clay Schaeffer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 am P.S. - If you can find a scrap of corian you could rout one out of that material and possibly have one more similar to the original.
Thanks for your suggestions. I had never heard of corian! I'm hoping i won't have to make the piece but it sounds like a possibility.

Andrew
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

Google "Replacement Rosette for Ovation guitar".

I saw a thread on an "Ovation Lovers" forum where someone had indeed gotten a replacement from Ovation. This took place in 2017 so it might still be possible.

http://ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forum ... ?tid=48026

Find out what Ovation wants for something like this, including shipping. PM me if you're interested .

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”