Archtop Tenor Uke

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
John Clifford

Archtop Tenor Uke

Post by John Clifford »

This one has been taking up space in my shop for ages, and I finally finished it today. This arguably belongs in "other stringed instruments," but it's really just a little 4-string archtop guitar, so I'm posting it here.

Top is sitka spruce
Back & sides are quilted maple
Ebony fretboard, headstock veneer and bridge
Cocobolo finger rest
Attachments
DSC_0248.jpg
DSC_0247.jpg
DSC_0246.jpg
Brian Evans

Re: Archtop Tenor Uke

Post by Brian Evans »

OK, that is too cool for school! Now I need an archtop tenor Uke... How does it do with nylon strings? Re-entrant tuning?
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

That is just sweet!
Nice work.
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Thanks. Brian, I think it has a nice, rounded woody sort of sound with the nylon strings. The highs are a little muted compared to a standard ukulele, as you'd expect. It sounds better plucked than strummed. Yes, it has a high G string. I might change that later. No neck reinforcement or bracing on this one - I really don't think it needs it.
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Very beautiful!
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

Very nice John. I built one quite a few years ago similar to yours and posted it here. Inspired by the ones Saul Koll builds. It might be in the old archives. A different sound than my flat tops but pleasing.
Rick Milliken

Post by Rick Milliken »

Very nice, love the maple! Is the top x-braced or?
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Thanks folks. Rick, I actually didn't use any bracing in this one. I thought the arch would be sufficient for structural support, and I seem to have been correct. Of course, it's hard to say how that choice affected the sound. I've built three other archtop tenor ukes, and put parallel (or V) braces in all of those. They all sound different though (different woods, etc.), so it's hard to tell. I like the way this one sounds.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”