Suggestions for building up (increasing thickness) of a neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Ezzo

Suggestions for building up (increasing thickness) of a neck

Post by Steve Ezzo »

I found an old neck that I made several years ago and I'd like to use it for project I'm working on. The neck is a little thinner than I like (.80 @ 1st fret), so I'd like to build up the thickness to .83. I plan to finish the neck to match the body color, so I don't need an invisible method. I'm assuming that my water-based lacquer finish will not add .03. Is this a correct assumption? My first thought was Bondo. Any thoughts on this method? Any other ways to add a little more thickness to this neck? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Dave Stewart

Re: Suggestions for building up (increasing thickness) of a neck

Post by Dave Stewart »

What about replacing the fingerboard with a thicker one??
(Bondo??....really??)
WB finish would probably end up .005" or less
Dave
Milton, ON
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Dave, consider gluing a layer of veneer between neck and fingerboard.
Patrick
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Another vote for a layer or two of veneer between the fretboard and neck; also adds some visual interest!
Dave Stewart

Post by Dave Stewart »

yep...good solution.
Dave
Milton, ON
John Meyers

Post by John Meyers »

If the neck is fully constructed and you do not want to remove the f-board just build up the thickness with epoxy, fiberglass or you could add a layer of Carbon fiber cloth or some other cloth to it and epoxy it on. That would add the thickness and strenght to the neck.
I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
David King

Post by David King »

I like my necks to be .75" at the first fret. Is there a reason the .03" would make all the difference to you? You could wrap the back of the neck with a layer or two of veneer but you would want to have a pretty straight neck shaft and I can't imagine how you would blend that in at the ends without resorting to the aforementioned Bondo.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Removing a fretboard is too easy to resort to these other methods.
Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

I agree with the "pop the fingerboard off and lay some veneer" school of thought. Other methods would be more time consuming.
Steve Ezzo

Post by Steve Ezzo »

I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. (Mario, it is good to have your voice and experience back on the forum). I re-measured the neck and I'm getting .81 at the first and .84 at the 12th. I can live with that. (I'm sure, that in a blindfold test, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference of 2 or 3 hundredths). Even though it is now a moot point, I thought of Bondo for a two reasons. 1) I've worked with it many times. 2) It goes on easily and is easy to sand. Although I get the feeling that using Bondo on a guitar was sacrilege to some, I not sure I see the difference between Bondo and other synthetic materials used in guitar construction and finishing. Epoxy as a pore filler comes to mind. Obviously, Bondo could only be used under an opaque finish. If anyone else has an opinion on the use of Bondo, I'd love to hear it.
Terry Mashek

Post by Terry Mashek »

I once used Bondo to fill a mis-rout in the body of an electric that was receiving an opaque finish. Worked fine for that.

For .03 I doubt I'd go through the hassle of changing your thickness.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”