Current classical guitar builds.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Simon Magennis

Current classical guitar builds.

Post by Simon Magennis »

I can't recall the last time I posted any pictures here. There are three I started back in January or Feb and one that really got going in Aug/Sept although I joined the back and top about a year ago or maybe even longer ago. Three are basically Romanilos style and one is the first I have done on the 1937 Hauser plan. Two walnut and two cypress. The Hauser style is the walnut with the strings hanging off it.

Fronts
Fronts
Cypress, walnut, walnut, cypress.
Backs
Backs
Cypress, walnut, walnut, cypress.
sides
sides
The extra one is a yellow cedar I did a few years ago. My current player.

I put some strings on the dark walnut even though the neck isn't carved as I was curious how it would turn out. Sounds good to my ears. I was quite surprised how alive the trebles were right from the beginning. It is the first classical I have done with a bridge plate. Funnily enough, though not clear in this picture, the wood reminds me of a photo of a 1940's Hauser I top that I say recently. I strung up the 3 with bridges at one point or another and am quite pleased with them so far. Next year all going well I may be able to get a professional play who has access to two different Romanillos guitars to try out the Romanillos style instruments and see if they have even a hint of that magic.
bridge plate top<br />bridge plate top
bridge plate top
bridge plate top
Apart from bindings, a fretboard and a bridge, I see a lot of french polishing in my foreseeable future. :-)
Barry Daniels

Re: Current classical guitar builds.

Post by Barry Daniels »

Looking good, Simon!
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Those look nice! If I had 4 in the works at the same time I would never be finished.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Bryan Bear wrote:Those look nice! If I had 4 in the works at the same time I would never be finished.
Who said I was ever going to get them finished. :-)
I hope to get a start on two or three more in the next few weeks but I promised myself that I would make some progress on the fp before going ahead. We'll see.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

That's beautiful work.

Any details on your solera? Is that cardboard?

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”