1936 Kalamazoo KM-11 Mandolin restoration - fretting over the tongue

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
John Scime

1936 Kalamazoo KM-11 Mandolin restoration - fretting over the tongue

Post by John Scime »

Hello there. Its been a while ...

I'm currently working on this old Gibson made Kalamazoo KM-11. It was a bit of a basket case, with 6 cracks in the top, 2 cracks on the back, a broken brace and very worn frets.

As you can see, it is back together and I am in the process of refretting it with banjo fret wire. This was simple up to the 9th fret using my hand held fret press. But I'm not very please with the results of the frets I've done over the neck block.

Is there a way I can use my drill press as an arbor, and if so, do I need to brace the 4 frets over the body? and how do I do that? On a guitar I could use my scissor jack, but it wont fit.

In general, I am a little nervous about using the hammer on this old dear, as it is fragile. I am also having trouble acquiring lead shot here in Canada, as we need a firearms registration to buy reloading materials. Is there a good substitute?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
Bill Raymond

Re: 1936 Kalamazoo KM-11 Mandolin restoration - fretting over the tongue

Post by Bill Raymond »

I would imagine that a sack of steel BBs or perhaps lead pellets for an air/CO2 gun, if these are available to you in Canada, should suffice; but I can't, of course, say for sure, as I've never tried them for this purpose.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I like to open up the fret slots over the body to about .028" and then the frets can be just tapped in with a small hammer.
MIMF Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You can open up the fret slots and glue the frets in. "Split shot" for fishing might be a substitute for lead shot.

By removing the end from a small ratcheting bar clamp you can turn it into a "spreader". http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-ratch ... 68974.html You might have to add a "hook" to one end if it won't fit through the soundhole.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Plain old sand works, too.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
John Scime

Post by John Scime »

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll put it to good use. js

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”