bridge pins

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
John Hamlett

bridge pins

Post by John Hamlett »

Hi folks! Long time no see!... but I have a question.
I'm about to finish up a restoration of a CF Martin Foden Special guitar. It is one of few ever made and the only one I have seen. It had a very rough homemade bridge on it when it came to my shop so I had to make a replica bridge as near as I could from internet photos mostly. The original apparently had ivory bridge pins with large abalone dots. I will probably use bone pins rather than some sort of legal ivory, and I'm trying to find a source for custom... or not... bone bridge pins with no flute, and preferably already inlaid with approximately 4mm abalone dots. I'm thinking fairly small diameter pins because I can adjust the pin holes to fit (new bridge).
Any help will be appreciated.
Bob Gramann

Re: bridge pins

Post by Bob Gramann »

Making bridge pins on a lathe is quite possible. I have made quite a few. I do my own end pins ( I use persimmon—I’ve never seen anyone selling that). If you have access to a lathe with a chuck and someone to show you the basics, you can get competent at it pretty quickly. The way to get six matching pins is to make a whole bunch and then sort them.
David King

Post by David King »

Stewmac has some and there's a fellow in Georgia, Bob Colossi, http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp who appears to make custom ones.
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

Bob Gramann wrote:Making bridge pins on a lathe is quite possible. I have made quite a few. I do my own end pins ( I use persimmon—I’ve never seen anyone selling that). If you have access to a lathe with a chuck and someone to show you the basics, you can get competent at it pretty quickly. The way to get six matching pins is to make a whole bunch and then sort them.
Yes, I used to turn "stuff", including end pins but I no longer have a lathe set up. I'm basically trying to avoid having to find a way to make them myself by getting someone to make them for me!
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

I had already found "guitarsaddles.com" and a couple of others that I will call tomorrow. Just seeing if anyone here makes custom pins or knows someone who does.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You can find fluted bone/abalone dot pins on ebay. I fill in the flutes to unflute them. :D
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

If anyone is interested, I got some pins from guitarpartsandmore. The look is pretty close to authentic according to internet photos of Foden special guitars.
Here are some before and after pictures.
front1.jpg
front2.jpg
bridge1.jpg
bridge2.jpg
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Nice work, John.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”