Soon...

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Eric Knapp

Soon...

Post by Eric Knapp »

I’ve not been active here for a while. Once my school year started I had little time for the shop. Then something else happened, I became eligible for early retirement. :D
60 days
60 days
I am really forward to getting back to working on my two guitar projects. I’ve been doing a lot of small projects and making tools. I have reorganized my shop a few times and I’m doing it again. And I’m looking forward to getting back to sharing with and learning from this forum.

Soon,

-Eric
Bryan Bear

Re: Soon...

Post by Bryan Bear »

Congrats!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Sweet! 14 days and 5 hours for me.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bryan Bear wrote:Congrats!
Thanks! It was a surprise to me and a big shock to my colleagues. I will miss teaching but I really need a long break.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Charlie Schultz wrote:Sweet! 14 days and 5 hours for me.
A hearty congrats to you too! Just two weeks for you, that must be either really exciting or exhausting. ;)

I’m focusing on getting my shop ready for the summer, when I’ll have lots more time, but lots less cash. 8-)

-Eric
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I'm glad you guys aren't in a cop movie or I would be really worried about your safety <G>
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bryan Bear wrote:I'm glad you guys aren't in a cop movie or I would be really worried about your safety <G>
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Mhmm, and i am starting to plan how to fully develop by business that i can still have an income when i'll be 84...
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Ahh. Retirement. Congrats you two on getting there.
I'm on a countdown also, but not for (roughly) 21 months, 11 days, 1 hr, 10 minutes. :lol:
Last edited by Gordon Bellerose on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dude, retirement comes soon!

With all the school shooting craziness, I think it's a prudent time to take a break.
Hope you enjoy it.
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I've heard of this "retirement" thing once offered to previous generations. Never actually met anyone who was offered one. Although the CEO of a company I briefly worked for had something called a "golden parachute". Is that the same?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

My retirement was accompanied with a cardboard box and 30 minutes to clean out my desk. The modern day version of the gold watch.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Gordon Bellerose wrote:Ahh. Retirement. Congrats you two on getting there.
I'm on a countdown also, but not for (roughly) 21 months, 11 days, 1 hr, 10 minutes. :lol:
I’m kind of glad I didn’t have that long of a waiting period. I became eligible in September and had to decide by December 1, and I’ll be done in May. My head is spinning.

As hope your time goes by quickly.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote:My retirement was accompanied with a cardboard box and 30 minutes to clean out my desk. The modern day version of the gold watch.
You got a box? Cool! :D

I’ll get nothing except the memories. I have a great bunch of students this semester, which is great, but also making me a little sad.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Randolph Rhett wrote:I've heard of this "retirement" thing once offered to previous generations. Never actually met anyone who was offered one. Although the CEO of a company I briefly worked for had something called a "golden parachute". Is that the same?
This used to be one of the few good benefits of being a public school teacher. I hope my young colleagues will have this. Nowadays there’s the oxymoron phrase of, “retirement career” that I’ll soon have to sort out.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Matthew Lau wrote:Dude, retirement comes soon!

With all the school shooting craziness, I think it's a prudent time to take a break.
Hope you enjoy it.
There was a bill proposed in my state to allow college students to have concealed carry rights. I have no idea how this was considered a good idea by anyone. The bill didn’t make it very far but I’m glad I’m out.

On to more woodworking!

-Eric
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

So what builds do you have planned now you have plenty of time?
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bob Howell wrote:So what builds do you have planned now you have plenty of time?
I have two guitars I’m working on. First is a re-build of an old Epiphone archtop from 1938. It was destroyed beyond restoring so I’m salvaging as much as I can and will make the rest of the parts. I’ve also started making an OM as my first full build. That photo at the top is the rosette I made for it, my first. I’m also a handtool lover and I make handplanes.

Thanks for asking!

47 day...

-Eric
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"First is a re-build of an old Epiphone archtop from 1938. It was destroyed beyond restoring so I’m salvaging as much as I can and will make the rest of the parts."

Sometimes you are better off getting a few under your belt before doing a major restoration. I've done a few I wish I had a "do over" for. In 1938 Epiphone was still an independent company producing high quality instruments, not a "budget line" for the Gibson company who bought them in '57. Some parts you may think are unsalvageable you may later find you could have restored.
Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

Congratulations. You guys are going to love it. Every day is like Saturday.
I like to start slow, then taper off.

Return to “Jam Session”