Headstock veneer material - black

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

Headstock veneer material - black

Post by Brian Evans »

What do you use if you want to do a multi-layer veneer on the front or back of a headstock, and you want to reveal a layer of black. I've read of some fiber or non-wood materials for this purpose, but I don't know what they are. My old Epiphone (1946) has some sort of composite appearing material as the very black face of the headstock. Any ideas?
John Clifford

Re: Headstock veneer material - black

Post by John Clifford »

LMI sells black and white fiber veneer sheets in various thicknesses. They describe them as a "cellulose product."
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Ebony veneer seems like a logical choice?
Dan
Attachments
958FECAF-4462-441F-A63C-982D3C3D9EB6.jpeg
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Real ebony veneer is hard to find these days, and usually hard to use as well. Sliced veneer tends to be really brittle because of the way they make it. LMII also sells black dyed veneer that is somewhat less problematic. It tends to be soft, and crushes or buckles easily if you try to force it into a narrow slot, as with a flat top rosette, so it's often better to laminate it with a strip of white: I like to use curly maple veneer. I make up sheets of this sort of layup, about 2" wide, and then cut off strips as I need them. They make the black veneer in both .3 and .5mm thickness. The fiber I got from them is .2mm, so that gives you a nice assortment of line widths to work with.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

You can just buy a "black" veneer, which is some plain wood dyed black, or you can get the black fiber veneer. Many companies use the black fiber in lieu of ebony, because it is jet black, cheaper and does not use valuable and scarce ebony for the look of jet black-no grain veneer.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

We were just discussing this material, and in fact is the give away posted currently.
They do not only make fret boards.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-woo ... te/flypage
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”