Guitar Rack

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Steve Sawyer

Guitar Rack

Post by Steve Sawyer »

My Christmas present from the LOML arrived and got installed just after the New Year.

I had three guitars, exactly three wall-hooks to hang them, and no more room on that wall for any more. I finished my first build a couple of months ago, am working on the next and have at least one more (a short-scale bass) in that queue in my head, so clearly something was going to have to change.

The solution was a bit pricey, but I now have room for about 8 guitars total. Ran about $125 with five hangers and including freight from DiamondLife Gear. Additional hangers are $12.00 each.

Also, notice the hanger for the Tele. Diamond Life explains that there is no protective foam material that is 100% safe for nitro finishes. They select a foam that exhibits a minimum of outgassing, but caution that some additional barrier is needed for nitro finished necks. As they suggest, I fabricated a couple of suede sleeves to go over the hook which should take care of that problem (see their FAQ for the full story). The Tele has been hanging on this for about three weeks now, and no sign of any issues, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
Guitar Rack.JPG
==Steve==
Randolph Rhett

Re: Guitar Rack

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I’ve been thinking of making a rack as a gift that would hang guitars in that orientation. Can you tell me how far the arms hang out in order for there to be sufficient clearance? I’m guessing a foot (30cm) is enough, but I would love some confirmation from a working system.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Here are my racks. The one on the right is made from old music store hangers my wife and kids gave me for my birthday many decades ago. The one on the left is home made, using hangers I got from Amazon for a few bucks apiece. Since it's fastened on a sloped ceiling, I got to use my compound cut-off saw. :) The distance out from the wall/windows is 11" on the right, 12" on the left. Plenty of room except for that bass.
Attachments
guitar-racks.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I use similar angled hangers mounted on commercial slat board, plus a 5 guitar floor rack, plus stands.

Brian
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Randolph Rhett wrote:I’ve been thinking of making a rack as a gift that would hang guitars in that orientation. Can you tell me how far the arms hang out in order for there to be sufficient clearance? I’m guessing a foot (30cm) is enough, but I would love some confirmation from a working system.
The nominal length of these supports is 12". They actually measure from the wall (not the horizontal support) just about 12" to the bottom of the "U" at the end. With the guitars at an approximate 45* angle as pictured, the center of the neck ends up about 12 1/2" from the wall.

As you can see from the pic below (if you squint real hard) the lower bout of the acoustic is about 4" from the wall. The solid-bodies have plenty more room. The vendor claims these allow placing most guitars including acoustics, hung at 90* to the wall.
Guitar Rack 2.JPG
==Steve==
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe it would be best to move to a new thread. But has anyone ever seen a wall hanger that will lock the guitar? I am looking for ideas to make a hanger that would at least discourage casual theft. At our school we have had instructors making guitars for almost twenty years. The guitars belong to the school, and are sadly neglected. I wanted to create a wall hanger for them (30 or so) that could be locked at the yoke. The wall hanger you guys show are perfect for what I was thinking, but I need to add some security.

Anyone ever see something like that? I realize that a determined thief could always break a lock or cut the support, etc. But it would I would like to at least discourage simple casual thievery.
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

Peter Wilcox wrote:Here are my racks. The one on the right is made from old music store hangers my wife and kids gave me for my birthday many decades ago. The one on the left is home made, using hangers I got from Amazon for a few bucks apiece. Since it's fastened on a sloped ceiling, I got to use my compound cut-off saw. :) The distance out from the wall/windows is 11" on the right, 12" on the left. Plenty of room except for that bass.
I like that a lot. My only concern is that you may not have enough stringed instruments in that little room. :shock:
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Randolph, no reason to worry. There are 4 or 5 behind the couch, 7 including a standup bass and a piano out of sight next to me, 2 more by the computer in another room, and 8 or 10 more in another building. I'll be OK after I build a few more. :)
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Randolph Rhett wrote:But has anyone ever seen a wall hanger that will lock the guitar? I am looking for ideas to make a hanger that would at least discourage casual theft.
Don't see much on the web that actually "locks" like with a key, but I'd be tempted to come up with a plastic-coated cable lock, similar to what is used on bikes. The challenge is to get it to lock a loop that cannot be lifted off over the headstock, or alternatively, something that locks the guitar INTO a conventional wall-rack - something that was attached to the wall or rack on one end, and would lock to the wall or rack on the other, and be tight enough across the FB so as to prevent being lifted out of the "U" bracket on the rack.

OR (I just thought of this) something like a locking capo with a short cable permanently attached.
==Steve==
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Peter's picture is superb. Anytime anyone gets a bit of an earful from the other half we can not only show them this picture but also point out that it was his wife kids gave him (some of) the components. It might also be a good justification for buying that compound saw. :-)
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"Don't see much on the web that actually "locks" like with a key, but I'd be tempted to come up with a plastic-coated cable lock, similar to what is used on bikes"

A cable lock used for handguns might work.

Return to “Jam Session”